Welcome! This is the home page and clearing house for information for the Desktop SIG for Fedora. This page should be centered around Desktop-releated features and projects; for people and meetings, go to the SIG page .
Long Term Features
These are some of the features that we want to work on for F11 and beyond. See also Desktop/Whiteboards for in-planning ideas.
- Application Installer, see Features/ApplicationInstaller
- More Bluetooth improvements: see Features/Bluetooth
- Time Zone / Location / Locale Improvements: see Features/TimeZoneAndLocation
- Rhythmbox Default Ripper Use Rhythmbox as the default CD ripping application
- Better Hostname User-friendly computer names
Features that we are working on with the goal to include them in F15.
- Color Management Easy handling of color profiles
- ConsoleKit Inhibit API Improve Shutdown experience
- NetworkManager bridging support Support bridging and bonding in NetworkManager
- Remove hal Get rid of all hal dependencies in the desktop spin
Features that have been included in F13.
- User account dialog A new user account dialog
- Radeon DisplayPort Support DisplayPort connections for ATI hardware
- Nouveau DisplayPort Support DisplayPort connections for Nvidia hardware
- NetworkManager commandline Control NetworkManager without a GUI
- udisk and palimpsest improvements Improve palimpsest to support lvm/multipath devices, as well as remote access
Features that have been included in F12.
- PolicyKit 1.0 Switch to PolicyKit 1.0
- Empathy Use Empathy as the default IM client
- Gnome 2.28 Re-base Fedora to Gnome 2.28
- NetworkManager IPv6 Full IPv6 support in NetworkManager
- NetworkManager Mobile Broadband Better Mobile Broadband support in NetworkManager
- XI2 Xinput extension version 2
- Volume Control Improve Volume Control
- Thusnelda A new theora encoder
- Harfbuzz A new OpenType layout and shaper engine
- Command not found Support package installation in bash autocompletion
- PackageKit Browser Plugin Secure package installation from web pages
- Intel DisplayPort Support DisplayPort connections for Intel hardware
We also have a page to collect 'polish' work that we are doing for F12 here
Features that have been included in F11.
- DeviceKit Disk and Device Management
- DRI2 Improve Direct Rendering Infrastructure
- Volume Control Streamlined volume control
- Gnome 2.26 Re-base Fedora to Gnome 2.26
- Fingerprint Support for fingerprint authentication
- Cups PolicyKit Integration Make system-config-printer use PolicyKit
- Nouveau Use Nouveau as default driver for Nvidia GPUs
- Firefox 3.1 Re-base Fedora to Firefox 3.1
- Font and Mime installer Support for installing missing fonts, codecs and applications
- Intel KMS Enable kernel modesetting by default for Intel chipsets
- Radeon 3D Update Update the radeon r100/r200 3D drivers to work with kernel modesetting and DRI2
- Input Device Properties Input Device Properties
- R600 Acceleration Support for EXA and Xv acceleration on R600
- Parallel PAM Support for multiple authentication methods for login
- Evdev 2.2 Update the evdev driver to version 2.2
- DBus Policy Lock down DBus policy
- Synaptics Update Update the Synaptics driver to version 1.x
- Thunderbird 3 Re-base Fedora to Thunderbird 3.0
- X server 1.6 Re-base Fedora to X server 1.6
- OpenChange Natively access Microsoft Exchange
- NetworkManager system connections NetworkManager system connection editing
Features that are in F10.
- Better Printing Improve management and handling of printers
- Better Remote Support Make it easier to connect to remote controls and have them just work with many applications.
- Better Start-up Stream line graphical start up
- Connection Sharing Enable adhoc network sharing
- Evdev Input Driver Evdev is being used as the default input driver for X.Org
- Glitch Free Audio Rewrite the PulseAudio sound server to use timer-based audio scheduling
- Gnome 2.24 Re-base Fedora to Gnome 2.24
- GStreamer RPM dependencies Assist automated installation of GStreamer codecs provided by third-party repositories
- Kernel Modes Setting for Graphics Move graphic mode initialization from the X server's DDX drivers to the kernel
- Online Accounts Service Provides applications with credentials for user's online accounts listed on online.gnome.org or stored in GConf
Features that were completed in F9.
- Bluetooth Ongoing Bluetooth enhancements
- Clock Applet Improve the support for multiple timezones/locations in the clock applet
- Dictionary Support Fix the proliferation of dictionaries in Fedora
- Fast X start up and shutdown Increase response time to 1 second from exec to accepting clients
- Firefox 3 Upgrade to Firefox 3
- gdm Update to new upstream Gnome Desktop Manager
- Gvfs A userspace virtual filesystem with backends for things like sftp, ftp, dav, smb, obexftp, etc. It is the replacement/successor of gnome-vfs
- More NetworkManager Expand the situations in which NetworkManager can be used and make it more robust
- PackageKit Provide alternative package man agement system
- Randr Support Use the capabilities offered by the Xrandr X extension throughout the desktop
- Update X Server Update X server to at least version 1.5
- XULRunner Introducing and ensuring that all the applications that need only the Gecko browser engine are using XULRunner
These are features that we have been working on for some time; most of them are available in F8 test2.
- Better Bluetooth support, see Releases/FeatureBluetoothFedora8
- PulseAudio sound server, see Releases/FeaturePulseaudio
- CodecBuddy, see Releases/FeatureCodecBuddy
- PolicyKit, see Releases/FeaturePolicyKit
- Better laptop support, see Releases/FeatureLaptopImprovements , Releases/FeatureTicklessKernel
- Improved user switching, see Releases/FeatureRemovePAMConsole , PulseAudio
- Bigboard, see Releases/FeatureBigboard
- Get rid of the X font server, see Releases/FeatureNoMoreXFS
- NetworkManager by default, see Releases/FeatureNetworkManager
- Xulrunner, see Features/XULRunner
- Animated backgrounds, the code for this was already present in F7, but nobody knew it existed, since we didn't get around to creating an animated background to go with it. For F8, the new theme will included one or more animated backgrounds. See this mail for some explanation of this feature.
- New theme, is in the hands of the Fedora Art community, see Releases/Features/NodokaTheme , Artwork/F8Themes/Infinity
- Better panel launchers. The email and web browser launchers in the default panel configuration now use the right icons for the selected app, and update when the preferred applications are changed.
- Compiz: F8 will have compiz 0.6 with the default configuration pretty similar to what it was in F7; the new plugins from the Beryl-Compiz merger will be available in the compiz-fusion package.