- 1 Embedded Systems Development Special Interest Group
- 1.1 Mission
- 1.2 People
- 1.3 Documentation
- 1.4 Targeted Platforms and tools
- 1.5 Misc
- 1.6 ChangeLog
Embedded Systems Development Special Interest Group
An embedded system is a special-purpose system in which the computer is completely encapsulated by or dedicated to the device or system it controls. Unlike a general-purpose computer, such as a personal computer, an embedded system performs one or a few pre-defined tasks, usually with very specific requirements. Since the system is dedicated to specific tasks, design engineers can optimize it, reducing the size and cost of the product. Embedded systems are often mass-produced, benefiting from economies of scale. 
The goal of the Embedded Systems SIG is to make Fedora the number one choice for developers of embedded systems by providing the required tools neccessary to get started quickly.
We aim to accomplish this goal through a variety of activities:
- Create high quality packages of cross-compilers and related tools.
- Provide packaging guidelines.
If you are interested in helping out, connect to irc.freenode.net and join #fedora-embedded.
- Packaging_Cross_Compiling_Toolchains - Guidelines for packaging cross-compilers.
Targeted Platforms and tools
The AVR is a 8 bit microcontroller created by Atmel , and is supported by open-source tools:
- AVRdude - In-system programmer.
Work in progress
Analog Devices Blackfin
Probably just one of these. Or both?
-  (this site just has mainline GCC and binutils, with instructions on how to build)
-  (version of GCC and binutils with ARM-specific patches that eventually get merged into mainline)
Work in progress
- arm-gp2x-linux-gcc - Cross Compiling GNU GCC targeted at arm-gp2x-linux
- arm-gp2x-linux-glibc - Cross Compiled GNU C Library targeted at arm-gp2x-linux
- arm-gp2x-linux-SDL - Cross Compiled SDL Library targeted at arm-gp2x-linux
- arm-gp2x-linux-zlib - Cross Compiled zlib Library targeted at avr
SDCC - Small Device C Compiler
SDCC is a Freeware, retargettable, optimizing ANSI - C compiler that targets the Intel 8051, Maxim 80DS390, Zilog Z80 and the Motorola 68HC08 based MCUs.
Macro Assembler AS
AS is a portable macro cross assembler for a variety of microprocessors and -controllers. Though it is mainly targeted at embedded processors and single-board computers, you also find CPU families in the target list that are used in workstations and PCs.
AS is provided by the asl package.
- Tue Mar 13 2007 - TrondDanielsen
- Group created.