- 1 FUDCon LATAM 2017 - Panamá
- 1.1 Local Team
- 1.2 Description of the City
- 1.3 Airports, Lodging and Venue
- 1.3.1 Airports
- 1.3.2 Lodging
- 1.3.3 Venue
- 1.4 Outline of local mass transit.
- 1.5 Description of proposed lodging and estimated costs along with a written agreement from lodging specifying rates
- 1.6 Estimated costs of flights major airports that attendees will travel from.
- 1.7 Brief description of on the ground resources and their experience with FUDcon/other large events.
- 1.8 Notation of internet connectivity options for both hotel and conference venue.
- 1.9 Outline of proximate restaurant locations.
- 1.10 Deadlines for event reservation, etc.
- 1.11 Pros and Cons of the proposed location.
- 1.12 Possible Attendees
FUDCon LATAM 2017 - Panamá
Description of the City
Panama City (Spanish: Panamá) is the capital and largest city of the Republic of Panama and it is located at the Pacific entrance of the Panama Canal Panama City is the political and administrative center of the country. Panama has been for 8 years one of the top 5 places for retirement in the world according to International Living Magazine.
Panama City is also an important hub for international banking and commerce. It has an advanced communications service, Internet use is widespread. It is important also because:
- Panama City was chosen to be the American Capital of Culture for the year 2003, what adds an incredible cultural center for our ambassadors.
- Panama City hosted the seventh version of the Summits of the Americas for the year 2015 that brought together leaders of the region to reflect on the difficulties faced by the peoples of the hemisphere, what adds an incredible political center for our ambassadors.
- Panama City will host World Youth Day in 2019, which is an event emphasized in the unity and presence of numerous different cultures, what adds and incredible spiritual profile for our ambassadors.
Weather and Climate
In Panama City the daytime temperatures are always around or slightly above 30 degrees Celsius (86 degrees Fahrenheit) and the thermometer drops at night no lower than around 22 to 24 degrees Celsius (71 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit).
Nevertheless, the city experiences different seasons. Not four seasons as like in the northern parts of the world, but is has a dry season which runs from late December to late April. And a real rainy season which runs from May to early December. In this period, large amounts of rain fall in Panama City.
Airports, Lodging and Venue
Tocumen International Airport
Tocumen International Airport (Spanish: Aeropuerto Internacional de Tocumen) (IATA: PTY, ICAO: MPTO) is an international airport located 15 miles (24 km) from Panama City, Panama. In 2006, it underwent a major expansion and renovation program in order to modernize and improve its facilities. It is currently the only airport in Central America with two runways for use and is also the largest airport in the country.
Tocumen Internation Airport is a regional hub for commercial flights heading to and from The Caribbean, South America, North America and Central America. Also, the European cities of Madrid and Amsterdam are served.
Albrook "Marcos A. Gelabert" International Airport
Albrook "Marcos A. Gelabert" International Airport (Spanish: Aeropuerto Internacional de Albrook "Marcos A. Gelabert") (IATA: PAC, ICAO: MPMG) is a public airport located 1.5 km (0.93 mi) west of the center of Panama City. It is located on the site of the former Albrook Air Force Station.
Albrook International Airport serves local flights and international flights coming from Costa Rica and Colombia.
Air Panama offers daily flights to many cities in Panama from Albrook Airport. Its corporate headquarters are located on the airport property.
Option A: Universidad Tecnológica de Panamá
Option B: Universidad Interamericana de Panamá
Option C: City of Knowledge
Outline of local mass transit.
Panama has an extensive and efficient, form of public transportation consisting of colorful painted buses colloquially known as diablo rojo. There is also a bus terminal near the airport which together with the airport serves as the main transport hub for the rest of the country.
Panamá will have a citywide metro system initially 14 km long, stretching across the city for next year. This new metro system along with the Metrobus propel the city and country toward Panama's goal of entering the first world.
Description of proposed lodging and estimated costs along with a written agreement from lodging specifying rates
Type B Accommodation Villas At these villas you can arrange for nightly stays and you can rent individual or shared rooms. They are ideal for students or temporary visitors to programs developed at CDS. These villas are equipped with the essentials.
Characteristics: Type B villas have three bedrooms with two beds each, all of them with ceiling fans. The living room has a telephone, television, and ceiling fan. The kitchen includes a microwave oven, fridge, cutlery, tableware and a coffee maker, Internet.
Prices go from USD$20 to USD$35. (this can be also part of Ciudad del Saber sponsorship)
Hostal City of Knowledge, closes hostal is the Clayton Hostel, rates vary depending of shared or private rooms from 20 to 40 dls including taxes [Clayton Hostel]
Hotel: City of Knowledge has a Holday Inn hotel, for more expensive accomodation [Holiday In City of Knowledge]
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Panama, Is around 7 min by car to the City of knowledge, close to [T.G.I Fridays], [Trescalini] and other restaurants on the area. [Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Panama ]
Estimated costs of flights major airports that attendees will travel from.
This cost can variate / Special prices can be found with Copa
Countries inside CentralAmerica
Some countries can travel by bus
- Costa Rica = us$70 (bus)
- Nicaragua = us$90
- El Salvador = us$120
- Guatemala = us$150
Countries Outside CentralAmerica
- Miami = us$400
- Venezuela = us$400
- Colombia = us$450
- Ecuador = us$470
- Mexico = us$700
- Santiago de chile = us$850
- Belo Horizonte = us$ 920
- Rio de Janeiro = us$950
- Buenos Aires = us$1.000
- Madrid = us$1.300
- Curitiba = us$1010
Country Visa Information
Panama, require passport, there are some countries that no require Visa to come in:
Countries that enter Panama with tourist card
Canadá, Estados Unidos, México, Belice, Antigua y Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Dominica, Granada, Jamaica, San Cristóbal y Nevis, Santa Lucia, Trinidad y Tobago, Guyana, Venezuela.
Touris card can be bought at Panamenian airport at US$ 5.
Countries that not Require tourist Visa to visit
Chile, Argentina, Bolivia, Uruguay, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Honduras, Paraguay, Brasil, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Colombia.
Countries that require tourist Visa
Ecuador, if you do not have a US visa, if you have US visa an have visited US on the last 1 years you don't need Visa. Check you local travel agency.
If your country is not here, please visit info
Brief description of on the ground resources and their experience with FUDcon/other large events.
This is one of the most active sections in the City of Knowledge. With an auditorium that can seat 500 people and the most complete technological platform in the region for interactive development of new forms of learning in its Digital Classroom, the City of Knowledge Convention Center has plenty of possibilities for holding your event, meeting, seminar, graduation ceremony, congress, fair or videoconference, among other things.
Even if Panamá hasn't held a FUDcon event ever, they have held events like last minidebconf, Flisol and SFD. Also, like all CentralAmerica countries are really near, we can count with almost all LATAM (CentralAmerica and top of SouthAmerica) people resources, gather for help for a really small us$ amount. Will be an excellent oportunity to gather a good number of contributors.
The auditorium may be used as a single space or as three, because it can be divided into modules. It covers a total of 465 m2 (5,005 square feet) and can seat approximately 500 people. Rental of this auditorium includes central air conditioning, telephone access, Internet, basic furniture, and cleaning service.
This room is equipped with a Tandberg 6000 educator. VC speed is 128 to 384 kbps, with ISDN.IP communication. This room seats 90 people.
Meeting Room and Offices
As part of the comprehensive services and supplementary spaces at the Convention Center, we have a small meeting room for 10 people and three individual offices for support during events.
We can provide you with tables and chairs for your congress or seminar, as well as a fully equipped kitchen so that a catering team may work without any problems.
Notation of internet connectivity options for both hotel and conference venue.
Ciudad del Saber has excellent telecommunications, IT and educational technology services, including an intelligent high-tech center with the required capacity for teleconferences, distance learning, fast internet connections, and other services.
Outline of proximate restaurant locations.
There are small restaurants and convenience stores close to the convention center around 3 blocks from it.
There is a small bowling place around 3 blocks from convention center and Villas.
Ciudad del saber is at 10 min from Ciudad de Panamá's downtown. So all kind of foods can be found.
Deadlines for event reservation, etc.
First meeting with Ciudad del Saber will be held Monday August, 09; Ciudad del Saber has agreed to host Fudcon, there will be some limitations that they will be provide us later.
Pros and Cons of the proposed location.
- As Panamá is in the middle of LATAM and is a financial center, travels, hotels and services are really cheap to be a more atractive destination.
- All CentralAmerica countries have easy access to Panamá; so most of them can travel by bus, will help to decrese the traveling budget and help to bring more people to FUDcon.
- Ciudad del Saber has a huge list of aliances that can represent a benefit to our community. This list includes all Panamá universities, several governamental agency, Alliance Française, Smithsonian Research Institute, Science and Technology for Development Iberoamerican Program, Latin American Social Sciences Institute, National Association of Universities and Higher Education Institutions of Mexico and others. See complete list here
- We can count with the support of cidetys - International Center for Technological Development an Free Software support (English link here)
As Panamá is in the middle of LATAM, maybe bring people from the bottom side of SouthAmerica will be too expensive.
|#||Name||$$$||Veg||Size||Share Room?||Comments||Hotel Booked||Extra Line for Badge||Country||TEAM|
|1||Abdel Martínez||S||Panama||Ambassador, QA, LATAM Treasurer, ex-FAmSCo|