KDE Plasma Desktop 4.6
Rebase to KDE Plasma Desktop 4.6.
- KDE SIG
- Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- IRC: #fedora-kde
- Targeted release: Fedora 15
- Last updated: 2011-02-11
- Percentage of completion: 100%
Currently KDE 4.6.0 is packaged in rawhide.
We have rebased KDE to 4.6
New features overview
- KDE 4.6
- Shipping a KDE spin that is HAL-free (featuring udisks/upower Solid and Power Management backends)
- systemd password agent
- Improved Bluetooth support, using bluedevil bluetooth framework.
- work on adding kde-integration to libreoffice
- switch default phonon backend to gstreamer
Benefit to Fedora
KDE is popular, feature rich and stable desktop environment used by a lot of Fedora users.
Requires rebasing to the latest upstream version and preparing distribution specific patches. All new required packages are already included in distribution.
How To Test
- yum groupinstall kde-desktop
- set KDE as default environment + KDM
- login to KDE desktop
or use Fedora KDE Plasma Desktop spin
What should be checked (KDE):
- distribution integration
- custom branding changes (KDM theme, KSplash theme, artwork) - for Preview Release
- working sound in Phonon, esp. with regards to the PA integration
- "root" modules in System Settings (due to pk1)
- test new hal-less solid backend for functionality (and free of regressions)
We are working on test plan for KDE QA.
Modern, feature rich and stable desktop environment.
- upstream KDE 4.6 release, see .
- Fedora branding/theming from Fedora Design team!
- libreoffice co-maintainership
- gtk3 theming/integration. This is currently an unknown, whether QtCurve or oxygen-gtk will support gtk3 in time.
Given how the KDE 4.6 and Fedora 15 schedules align, there should be plenty of buffer time between the KDE 4.6 and Fedora 15 releases. We are already working on importing and polishing beta version of KDE. In case of problems with upstream release we can revert to older release or we can omit individual problematic modules (e.g. kdepim) of this feature. KDE 4.6 could later be shipped as an update.
The Fedora KDE Desktop User Guide is very important part of this feature for users. It guides users how-to use the new KDE 4 Desktop and it's targeted to both former KDE 3.5 user and first time KDE 4 users.
Upstream documentation sites:
This release features KDE 4.6.
KDE 4.6 is the latest release of KDE 4. There are a lot of enhancements and new features.