It's sometimes easy to mistake new packages, or enhancements, for features. Features have a very specific definition, but here are some questions to ask yourself before engaging the feature process.
- Is this change very visible to end users?
- In this case "end user" means "someone in the audience for this change," which could be desktop users, developers, or system administrators.
- Does this change require intervention?
- This might be a configuration file format change, or something else that will perturb unsuspecting end users.
- A change that requires a very simple intervention to revert behavior is not necessarily a feature.
- Is this something that will interest the lay press?
- The lay press in this case includes Linux-oriented sites.