The 10th Annual LinuxFest Northwest will be held Saturday and Sunday, April 25-26, 2009 at Bellingham Technical College in Bellingham, Wash.
FAD LFNW Details
- Date: Saturday, April 25, 2009
- Place: LinuxFest Northwest, Bellingham Technical College, Bellingham, Wash.
- Room: Haskell 203
- Time: 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Talk: Larry Cafiero, the regional ambassador for the U.S. West Coast, is scheduled to give a brief introductory talk about Fedora -- Fedora First: An Introduction -- prior to the start of the FAD. Including Q-and-A, it shouldn't last more than 30 minutes.
Activities include two separate projects: A look at Fedora 11 Leonidas provided to those willing to test it and submit bug reports (using thumb drives to run/install F11 on individuals' computers) as well as a look at the OLPC 4th Grade Math Curriculum project including a program provided by David Nalley the previous evening. A third area was general Q-and-A and/or installation help for F10 or F11 beta.
|10:00am||Larry Cafiero: "Fedora First: An Introduction"|
|10:30am||Fedora Activity Day|
|11:00am||FAD: F11 Walk-through & Test (bugs?)/OLPC (Math 4)|
|11:30am||FAD: F11 Walk-through & Test (bugs?)/OLPC (Math 4)|
|1:30pm||FAD: F11 Walk-through & Test (bugs?)/OLPC (Math 4)|
|2:00pm||FAD: F11 Walk-through & Test (bugs?)/OLPC (Math 4) (2:30: Karsten Wade: "Participate or Die" in Haskell 104)|
|3:00pm||FAD: F11 Walk-through & Test (bugs?)/OLPC (Math 4)|
|3:30pm||FAD: F11 Walk-through & Test (bugs?)/OLPC (Math 4)|
|4:00pm||FAD: F11 Walk-through & Test (bugs?)/OLPC (Math 4)|
What Worked (item's poster in parentheses)
- Attendance: The talk had a SRO crowd of about 36 people, which is significant because in a nearby classroom John "Maddog" Hall was giving the talk that was the buzz of the fest. (Larry Cafiero)
- Presentation: Despite non-Fedora technical glitches (i.e., a recalcitrant projector), the presentation went well. (LC)
- Availability of software: We were able to provide those who wanted to test F11 with thumb drives and live CDs burned from the thumb drives -- thanks, Brennan (LC)
- Brain power: With Clint Savage, Brennan Ashton, Adam Williamson and Kevin Higgins on hand, all the Fedora bases seemed to be covered. Tthe attendance of Iain Davidson, a local XO repair expert (who loaned us additional XOs) who was in and out throughout the day, was a plus because he was able to answer a lot of technical questions around the XO. (LC)
What Didn't Work (item's poster in parentheses)
- Timing: Once we went through instructions and introductions to those who stayed after the presentation to help, it was lunch time and while we offered the option to those who wanted to stay, many left to eat (with some of them returning after lunch) (LC)
- Momentum (see above): With the timing off, the momentum gained in the morning took some time to recover in the afternoon. (LC)