FIG Job Description: sysadmin-noc
Members of sysadmin-noc will be tasked with monitoring the hosts and services the Infrastructure group is responsible for maintaining. Members of sysadmin-noc are the first line of defense against chaos and depravity.
Level of committment
Average 4 hours per week
- Notice problems, perform preliminary troubleshooting and escalate to the appropriate sysadmin-* team for resolution.
- Write / modify health checks and monitors on one or more tools in current use
- Develop auto-recovery scripts for services and health checks
- Give up personal lives, sell all worldly goods and carry a pager for the good of the Project.
- Expect to be ignored at all turns.
- Can distinguish red / green colors
- Basic troubleshooting skills
- Good error reporting / descriptive skills
- Basic Email and IRC skills
- Full comprehension of ESR's 'How to Ask Smart Questions' and 'Unix Koans'
- Experience managing, deploying or maintaining at least one of the tools in current use
- Expert level differentiation between humor and reality (even when humour is spelled with too many u's)
- Nagios - service and host monitoring and alerting (nagios docs)
- collectd - RRD-based trending and graphing (collectd docs)