This page provides all the information that people need regarding Fedora's presence at LinuxConf Australia 2011.
linux.conf.au is one of the world's best conferences for free and open source software.
When and Where
In 2011 LCA is going to be held in Brisbane, from the 24th - 29th January, at Queensland University of Technology (QUT) - Gardens Point Campus.
Please add yourself to the list below if you want to attend.
|#|| FAS Name &
|1||Luke Martinez||No||yes||Friday Morning||Sunday Evening||Pending Sponsorship|
|2||Heherson Pagcaliwagan||Yes||yes||23 Jan||31 Jan||Plane tickets to be purchased by Max Spevack|
|4||Caius 'kaio' Chance||yes||yes||local||local|
|5||Dennis Gilmore||yes||No||13 Jan||28 Jan||Fedora Release Engineering|
Volunteer Schedule (feel free to swap amongst yourselves)
Travel & Accommodation
- Luke is travelling from Adelaide to Brisbane with the following cost estimates: $130 adelaide to brisbane (apprx.) $120 brisbane to adelaide (apprx.) $150 two nights accommodation. A total of $400 for the event.
- Herson (pending approval) will be travelling from Manila to Brisbane with plane cost of $1025 (18Nov) and visa cost of $105. An LCA ticket costs an additional $375 bringing the total to $1505. Will probably need help with accomodation once approved but I've not planned that far ahead yet.
- Izhar (pending approval) will be travelling from Kuala Lumpur to Gold Coast with plane cost of AUD609(20Nov), and approximately AUD100 for Gold Coast to Brisbane on train. LCA ticket costs AUD375 which means a total of AUD1084. Probably need help with accommodation too, and fine with any place which comfortable enough to sleep in a sleeping bag.
- Kaio (pending approval) is located in Brisbane who only need AUD$375 for LCA ticket.
The Open Day details are as follows:
Date: Saturday, 29 January 2011
Time: 9am - 5pm (10am-4pm for attendees not stall holders)
- At the Fedora stall these are some of the planned activities:
- One Laptop Per Child display: history, development, impact, etc
- Live USB Creator: getting people to bring their USBs and installing Fedora 14 onto them
- Fielding general questions about Fedora and Red Hat (possibly a small notice announcing that we're hiring)
- Raffle draw/ quiz
- Handing out Fedora 14 CDs, RHEL and Fedora brochures
- Interactive space (separate from the stall):
- OLPC: letting people have a go on an XO running Sugar
- Cheese: let people take pictures of themselves and add effects, email to themselves
- Decoration for the stall:
- Fedora pull-up banner
- 'Red Hat is hiring' banner
- Red Hat and Fedora table cloths
- Your beautiful selves
At this stage we haven't finalised all the details, and we're still welcoming suggestions for further activities. Please email suggestions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stall booking confirmed
- List of volunteers
- OLPCs procured (1 from Brisbane, 3 being shipped)
- Red Hat swag procured (various Brochures on RHEL 6, Red Hat caps, mints, travel adaptors, pens, keyrings)
- Finalise activity list
- USB creation station: At this point in time, USB sticks will not be included in LCA's swagbag. Red Hat has provided a handful of USB sticks.
Idea #2: Spread the word for people to bring their USB sticks to Open Day. Spam avenues: during the conference, blogs, mailing lists, LCA event page, etc
- Raffle draw: Suggestions for activities? Prizes?
- Cheese: Provide a laptop for the interactive area, equipped with webcam and Cheese. And wireless capability, ideally.
- Talks during Open Day: please contact email@example.com if you have a presentation which may inspire young people to get into open source.
- Additional swag
- Fedora 14 media: 200 being produced in Brisbane (tentative). Are the Fedora Ambassadors able to bring in any more?
- Red Hat and Fedora cloths
- Fedora flyers
- Informal training session/ FAQ sheet for volunteers: Cheryn to arrange
- Finalise volunteer schedule
There is interest among attendees in actually pursuing a FAD after the event. Check FAD @ Brisbane 2011 for details.