Package maintainers wishlist
Refer to the list or unmaintained and orphaned packages . This would be a good place to bring back into Fedora repositories packages where the original maintainer has moved on.
Packaging Survey May 2009
General Fedora Packages WishList
As a current contributor, if you know of projects that would be appropriate in Fedora package collection but are unable to maintain yourself just drop them with a line here. This list can be used to give other contributors ideas on what to package next. Please be aware however that the number of high quality, well maintained packages that Fedora repository provides scales with the number of active contributors. It is just as important to encourage new contributors as it is to desire new packages. If you are not yet a contributor to the Fedora packaging process, please look over this list and see if there are any projects you would be willing to maintain for the Fedora community.
If are interested in contributing to Fedora package collection, take a look at PackageMaintainers
- aarddict - Offline wikipedia and dictionary viewer (Review Request)
Ailurus - "Install software" + "Configure Linux" + "Study Linux skills" (Review Request)In F14.
- airtime - The open radio software for scheduling and remote station management. Formerly campcaster.
- Antsp2p - Client for the MUTE peer-to-peer anonymous network
- ACE - An OO network programming toolkit in C++ (Review Request, dropped for licensing issues)
- Adobe CMap and AGLFN data - Adobe reference ID tables. If we don't use them many documents (PDFs…) won't display correctly (see this announce and this lwn.net article
- NOTE: this is already included in poppler-data-0.3.0 (in F-12)
- Alchemy - chaos generation tool, good for artists and sketchers - good creativity aid
- Alfresco Enterprise content management system
- alien - Alien is a program that converts between the rpm, dpkg, stampede slp, and slackware tgz file formats Review Request
- Apertium Toolbox to build shallow-transfer machine translation systems(contact #apertium channel in freenode network).
- APF (Advanced Policy Firewall) - iptables(netfilter) based firewall system
- Apache Directory Studio - An LDAP Directory Browser/Editor built on Eclipse RCP
- AppArmor, application security framework -- user space utils/libs.
ascii Command line tool for information on ASCII. (Review Request dropped Review Request)in F12
- Aspell Dictionaries, some are missing.
- Asterisk GUI GUI for managing Asterisk servers.
- Autoconf Archive A collection of freely re-usable Autoconf macros Review Request
- Autotrash a simple Python script which purges files from your trash based on their age or the amount of free space left on the device. Uses the FreeDesktop.org Trash Info files included in GNOME. Very useful when run by cron so you can stop caring about emptying the trash.
- awesome Highly configurable, next generation framework window manager for X. (Review Request)
AWK - The One True Awk.DONE, called nawk
- Axiom - general purpose system for symbolic calculations.
- BitCoin - Client for alternative online currency
Blogbridge - Blog and rss reader (in Java)- usage of proprietary libraries
bltk - Battery Life Tool Kit is a set of scripts and programs to monitor and log power consumption of Linux laptops/notebooks under different workloads (HuzaifaSidhpurwala is working on it)
- Bongo - Bongo is an easy-to-use mail and calendar system. Fork of Hula. (Review Request (Dropped))
BrOffice.org - BrOffice.org is the official brazilian release of OpenOffice.orgBrOffice Spin
- BT747 - BT747 is Software for GPS Data Logger Devices (read tracks, configure devices, photo geotagging and more). Written in Java, GPL license.
Calibre - Calibre is a one stop solution to all your e-book needs. it is meant to be a complete e-library solution and thus includes library management, format conversion, news feeds to ebook conversion, as well as e-book reader sync features and an integrated e-book viewer.
- CampCaster A free open-source automation system for radio stations. It provides a web and GUI based interface for the queuing of music into an automated schedule.
- CcHost - Creative Commons CMS that powers ccMixter
- Cerebro - clustering monitoring tool with different design goals from Ganglia
- chesnut-dialer A feature-rich Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) dialer written in Python (Dropped
- Cinefx - is an powerful opensource video editing and creating tool
- cint CINT is an interpreter for C and C++ code. CINT covers most of ANSI C (mostly before C99) and ISO C++ 2003. A CINT script can call compiled classes/functions and compiled code can make callbacks to CINT interpreted functions
- cmotech-tools Tools for using C-motech hardware with Linux (wireless broadband)
- colorgcc A tool to colorize the terminal output of GCC so error messages can be found within longer compiler outputs (Review request).
Crafty Crafty is a free, open-source computer chess program, generally more powerful than GNUchess.- incompatible license
- cryptlib a set of layered security services and associated programming interfaces that provide an integrated set of information and communications security capabilities
- CSpace - Secure, decentralized Peer-to-Peer instant messaging (Review request (dropped) )
- clonezilla - opensource clone system
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi driver - the driver for popular series of sound cards by Creative. It was recently released under GPLv2 licence, needs to go to Rawhide first.This driver will be included in the linux kernel in a while, probably in 2.6.31 []
cpupowerutils - cpufrequtils extended with quite some features.Already in fedora
cURLpp - C++ bindings to the cURL library. MIT license. Has RPM spec file, but spec file needs help.Done
- CyaSSL - C Embedded SSL Library optimized for size and speed. GPLv2 License.
- Debug PHP client - Cli utility for XDEBUG PHP.
- Denim - UI sketching tool. BSD license. Created by the University of Washington. Crossplatform TabletPC input.
Déjà Dup - A GNOME backup UI using duplicity as the backendIn F13
- dispcalGUI - a graphical frontend for several utilities from the open source color management system Argyll CMS.
- DITA and the DITA Open Toolkit - DITA is an XML-based technical writing syntax, and the DITA-OT is a set of Java-based tools for processing DITA documents. DITA and the DITA-OT are currently packaged for openSUSE.
- Dillo 2 - non-js Web Browser; hasn't been updated since 0.86
- Ditaa - Convert Ansii Art to PNG-Giagrams; Java; commandline (review request)
- dimdim - open source web meeting product with features like Application, Desktop and Presentation sharing with A/V streaming and chat. Upstream open development of the project looks dead.
- djbdns - a simple and security-aware DNS implementation created by Daniel J. Bernstein due to his frustrations with repeated BIND security holes. Review request
dpkg - The dpkg package manager, as used by Debian, Fink and others Review Requestin F-13
DVB Deamon - is a daemon written in Vala to setup your DVB devices, record and watch TV shows and browse EPG. It can be controlled by any application via its D-Bus interface.In F13
- e17-svn - Enlightenment window manager DR17 from the new svn repository
- easybashgui (GPLv3) - simple GUI functions with a standard interface; it invokes kdialog, zenity, Xdialog or (c)dialog depending on KDE or GNOME running or not, Xdialog is installed, or if the X server is running or not.
- WindowBuilder - Eclipse WindowBuilder Bi-directional Java GUI Designer
- Ecomorph - OpenGL compositing manager that runs all the compiz plugins
- Executequery - Execute Query is an operating system independent database utility written entirely in Java.
electric sheep - Best open source evolving screensaver in existence.Cannot include in Fedora, has built in MPEG decoder
Entertainer Is a clutter based media center (working on it)in f12
- Enthought framework - python framework for building scientific data visualization applications
- etcnet - is a new way to configure networks. It is designed to let you use all modern Linux network technologies in a convenient way
- Evergreen ILS - open source Integrated Library System (ILS)
- exfat - Free exFAT file system implementation
- FileBench - framework of file system workloads for measuring and comparing local and NFS file system performance, by Sun Microsystems.
- Flapjack - monitoring solution
- Flyback - GUI for archiving similar to Apple's Time Machine.
- fntsample - A program for making font samples that show Unicode coverage of the font and are similar in appearance to Unicode charts.
- fondu - A set of programs to interconvert between mac font formats and pfb, ttf, otf and bdf files on unix.
- fossology - free software tools to facilitate the study and analysis of Free and Open Source Software. Today we are best known for finding software licenses in text. GPLv2 & LGPLv2.1
font manager - A simple GNOME application to manage fonts<strike>
- Free-CAD - 3D CAD modeler
- Freemat - Open source engineering and data processing application. Can be used as a free alternative to Matlab. GPL
- FreeMind - Free mind-mapping software. JPackage SRPM available: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=7118&package_id=161830&release_id=574721 . <strike>jcalendar only required dependency we don't yet have jcalendar now available on Fedora.
- Freeplane -- Freeplane is a powerful and free software for building the mind maps. It is a redesigned version of the well known FreeMind, and is created by one of FreeMind's key developers.
- gcvs - Graphical frontend to cvs (Last release 2003 -- though other clones WinCVS & MacCVS where released more recently)
- GEONExT - dynamic mathematics software for teaching and learning mathematics. Written in Java, licensed under GPLv2. Source code can be obtained at email@example.com
- GeoGebra - free and multi-platform dynamic mathematics software for schools that joins geometry, algebra and calculus. Program released under GPL, documentation under some CC non commercial license so we can't ship the documentation.
- Gespeaker - Gespeaker is a GTK+ frontend for espeak. It allows to play a text in many languages with settings for voice, pitch, volume, speed and word gap. - There are also plugins for kopete, pidgin, etc. (Review Request)
- g15tools - linux support to the g15 keyboard
- GForge - GForge is a software for collaborative development for the software community (Dropped
- GimpShop - GimpShop is a fork of gimp for more compatibility with a commercial image editing program.
Giver - File sharing program (, uses gnome-sharp) ((Review Request)in f12
- gksu & gksudo Sudo (superuser do) allows a system administrator to give certain users (or groups of users) the ability to run some (or all) commands as root or another user while logging the commands and arguments. Review Request (libgksu) & Review Request (gksu & gksudo)
- glParchis -- Parcheesi
- Gnu Linux Semantics Storage System - A storage solution that distances you from thinking about Where you store your data to What your data is. [glscube-0.1.tar.gz has no Makefiles]
- Gnulib - central location for common GNU code, intended to be shared among GNU packages.
- GoogleCL - Command-line access to Google services.(Review Request]
- gpltool - makes it easier and cheaper to look inside binary code, find compliance issues, and reduce uncertainty when deploying Free and Open Source Software. (requires unrar which is only available in rpmfuion-nonfree)
Gnu Regression, Econometrics and Time-series Library - A library and application for running regressions and econometrics on time series data. (Review Request)
- GNOME Media Applet . Media applet is an application to easily manage disks and devices on your system.
- Gnome Menu Extended . Show KDE menu in GNOME. Complimentary to kmenu-gnome. (Review Request)
- GNS3 - GNS3 is a graphical network simulator that allows you to design complex network topologies and to launch simulations on them. (Review request)
- GNU Bayonne 1 and 2 - Telephony servers
- Gpick - Color palette creation tool for designers (More info)
- GPRS Easy Connect - GUI for GPRS connecting and supports 704 phones and 269 providers (2008-07-28 The project is closed).
- gozer - gozer is a commandline text rendering utility for creating images from arbitrary text in antialiased truetype fonts using optional fontstyles, wordwrapping and layout control.
- gwaterfall - This program facilitates comparison of various font and font rendering parameters.
 gPXE - x86 Option ROM creator with great features.in F12
Gnusound - audio editor.(Includes MP3 encode/decode -> can't be included in Fedora)
- guppy is an application to download videos from the Topfield TF5000PVRt.
- Gwyddion Free SPM (AFM, SNOM/NSOM, STM, MFM, …) data analysis software
GPT fdisk - GPT fdisk or gdisk is a fdisk style GUID Partition Table editor. It includes features like non-destructive conversion of MBR (or msdos) and BSD disklabels to GPT, has many GPT recovery options and the ability to set any arbitary Partition type GUID for a Partition. Source RPM and Precompiled RPM Packages are available in the following Sourceforge.net link - http://sourceforge.net/projects/gptfdisk/already added
Goldendict A dictionary lookup program. that supports multiple dictionary file formats, like stardict and dictd formats and supports mediawiki lookup too.imported into Fedora
- Gorm is the GNUStep Project's answer to Interface Builder from Mac OS X and NEXTSTEP. Used to easily design UIs for GNUStep (Cocoa) based programs.
- Habari - Next Generation Blogging Platform.
- hardware4linux.info is Debian's official hardware profiler. Functional .rpm packages for Fedora already exist (.src and binary), but this should be better integrated with smolt (please see Fedora bug #433105)
- Heirloom project provides traditional implementations of standard Unix utilities. In many cases, they have been derived from original Unix material released as Open Source by Caldera and Sun.
-  - Heimdal Kerberos client/server - Free-er (encryption) implementation of kerberos
- http_replicator a smart caching proxy ideal for use with apt/yum
HPLIP 3.11.1 Current version in Fedora repositories is hplip-3.10.9-9.This new 3.11.1 version brings new fixes for problems with not recognizing scanning capabilities of some printer/scanner/copy (all-in-one) products like HP Deskjet 2050.
- Hyperic HQ - an advanced system and application management platform
- Hyperic SIGAR - System Information Gatherer And Reporter (Review Request)
- Icecat - Free replacement of Firefox browser
- icon - Icon programming language srpm here
iec16022 - Generate ISO/IEC 16022 2D barcodesin F12+
- iFolder - requires simias (Review Request )
- igal2 is a Perl-based program that can generate an entire online picture show (HTML slides, thumbnails and index page included) with just one command line invocation.
- Imule - Anonymous version of Emule, through the I2p protocol. sources and binaries here
- indefero - Indefero Software Forge - Beautiful simplicity in bug tracking and code review.
- Indico - A Python-based event organizer web application (GPL).
- InstallJammer - InstallJammer is a multiplatform GUI installer designed to be completely cross-platform
- iperf3 - is a new implementation of iperf from scratch, with the goal of a smaller, simpler code base, and a library version of the functionality that can be used in other programs.(Review Request )
ipplan - ipplan is a web-based application for managing IP address allocations (Review request)in F12
IP sets - programs and kernel modules used to set up, maintain and inspect so called IP sets in the Linux kernel. Useful in advanced firewall setup.])in rpmfusion
- iTalc - Interactive Tool for teachers, OpenSource classroom-management, GPL Review Request
- iTask-NG - A taskbar and app-launcher dock based on engage, which makes use of composite, but can also be used without.
- itools - A python library that includes several useful tools, such as an ODF anonymizer that can be used to sanitize confidential documents before attaching them to bug reports
ike - a free IPsec VPN Client for FreeBSD, NetBSD, Linux and Windows operating systemsReview requestin FC14
- ipset - is used to set up, maintain and inspect so called IP sets in the Linux kernel.
- jailkit - chroot jail utilities (Review Request)
- Jacker A MIDI tracker for JACK. Beta stage.
- JBoss.org - The Red Hat sponsored, community project, middleware solution. (JBoss packaging effort)
- JDownloader - JDownloader is an open source, platform independent download manager, and written completely in Java.
jemalloc - is a general-purpose scalable concurrent malloc(3) implementation(used in FreeBSD, NetBSD, Firefox, Varnish and in website components of Facebook). ( Review Request )
- JFractionLab Program to practise doing fractions with graphical feedback
- Jing - Jing is James Clarks' RELAX-NG XML schema validator. Example RPMs at authors site, works with gcj.
- jMemorize - Java application that manages flashcards by the famous Leitner system
JOSM - the Java Open Street Map Editor. Review Request.
- JPEG2PDF - Creates a PDF out of a directory of JPEG/JPG-images. Very fast and stable; should be easy to package.(The homepage is dead, anyone knows whether the project is still alive?)
- Julius - "Julius" is a high-performance, two-pass large vocabulary continuous speech recognition (LVCSR) decoder software for speech-related researchers and developers
- KDE4 Service Menu Editor - Simplifies administration via GUI
- kbfx - kbfx is an alternative to the classical K-Menu button and it's menu. (The page is dead)
- KDevelop4 - Major rewrite based on Qt4/KDE4 with a powerful language architecture. Under heavy development and currently in Beta phase, recommended for C++ or PHP development with CMake or custom Makefiles as their build system. Recommended for Linux (all other OS might work, but are not tested yet).
- KForge - For managing software and knowledge projects.
- Kiwix - Offline wikipedia reader, zim file reasder. GPLV3
- KLogic - KLogic is an application for building and simulating digital circuits easily
- Knowledge Tree - Community edition: a PHP based GPL V3 Content Managements System (source code at: Source Forge)
- Kommute - Linux client for the MUTE anonymous P2P network
- Komodo Edit - Free and Open source multi-language editor
- KPrayertime - Islamic Prayer Times Applet
- l7-filter - L7-filter is a classifier for Linux's Netfilter that identifies packets based on application layer data. (Review Request)
- lessfs - A high performance inline data deduplicating filesystem for Linux. Review Request RHBZ #530473
- Liaison - Liaison is a software tool combining some well known open source software tools like MoinMoin, Subversion and Bugzilla to help software developers to collaborate.
- libchipcard - A library for easy access to smart cards (chipcards). Usually in combination with Gwenhywfar and AqBanking.
- libMicro - is a portable set of microbenchmarks that many Solaris engineers used during Solaris 10 development to measure the performance of various system and library calls(If Linux is faster it's a Solaris bug). Review Request RHBZ #648053
- libmnl - is a minimalistic user-space library oriented to Netlink developers,aims to provide simple helpers that allows you to re-use code and to avoid re-inventing the wheel.
libmspack - A library for Microsoft compression formats.In F12, cabextract should link against it.
- libpam-poldi PAM module allowing authentication using a OpenPGP smartcard. This PAM module will allow you to login, screenlock and validate to services using your GnuPG smartcard. (sorry for cross-distro reference but i googled for so long without finding any other good source.)
- libSBML Programming library to read, write, manipulate, translate, and validate SBML files and data streams.
- LibSRS Library to implement Sender Rewriting Scheme, a part of the SPF/SRS protocol pair.
libsysactivity A lightweight library that retrieves statistics of the system's activity in a portable and thread safe way.In F12 Done
libvpx - VP8 video codec library (Review Request)
- liferay - An open source Java based portal application.
linux-firmware, replace all *firmware* packages with this one.In F13
- Lightworks - is a non-linear editing system for video.
link-monitor-applet - Link Monitor Applet is a GNOME Panel Applet displaying the round-trip time to a set of hosts in a bar graph.F15 won't include support for GNOME Panel Applets and this program requires setuid which is not allowed in Fedora
- livebackup - LiveBackup is a framework to create live-cd's from installed Linux systems
lives - Video Editing System. It is designed to be simple to use, yet powerful (foreign f9 package exists on SourceForge)Cannot be included in Fedora due to dependency on ffmpeg.
- log4cplus - Logging Framework for C++
Loook- A simple Python tool that searches for text strings in OpenOffice.org. Submitted: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=635450
- LPRng, is an enhanced, extended, and portable implementation of the Berkeley LPR print spooler functionality. No so bulky/convoluted as cups.
- lprof - ICC Color Profiler. This will help the Fedora Design team produce for-print artwork.
- lldpd - 802.1ab (LLDP) implementation, .spec here
- Magento - Magento is a new professional open-source eCommerce solution offering unprecedented flexibility and control.
- MapGuide - web-based platform for developing and deployment web mapping applications and geospatial web services.
- Memlockd - is a daemon that locks basic system login files,binary and library, into memory. Then if a machine starts paging heavily the chance of being able to login successfully is significantly increased.
- mdp-toolkit - Modular toolkit for Data Processing (MDP) is a Python data processing framework.
- Mercurial Eclipse - hg Eclipse plugin
- mosbench - is a set of application benchmarks designed to measure scalability of operating systems. It consists of applications that previous work has shown not to scale well on Linux and applications that are designed for parallel execution and are kernel intensive.
Mesk - A PyGtk+ audio playerCannot include in Fedora, has built in MPEG decoder
- MindTouch - Enterprise Content Management from Novell. There is a repo and installation instructions here. Licenses here.
- mined Unicode text editor
- MintMenu - A modern python-coded menu applet that shares the same hotlinks to software as the Gnome main menu. Source code
- MIT/GNU Scheme - an implementation of the Scheme programming language, providing an interpreter, compiler, source-code debugger, integrated Emacs-like editor, and a large runtime library.
- mixmaster Anonymous remailer client and server
- Mondo Rescue inclusion - Review Request
MongoDB - high-performance, open source, schema-free document-oriented database.Done
- MoBlock - A Peerguardian compatible connection blocker
Monsoon - A MonoTorrent based GTK# BitTorrent clientin F12
- Metasploit Framework - Metasploit provides useful information and tools for penetration testers, security researchers, and IDS signature developers. This project was created to provide information on exploit techniques and to create a functional knowledgebase for exploit developers and security professionals. The tools and information on this site are provided for legal security research and testing purposes only. Metasploit is an open source project managed by Rapid7.
- mpd MusicPD Home Stereo Server using ogg and flac for mpc, gmpc, ncmpc, and many others including ampache. bugs at musicpd.org/mantis irc=mpd MP3 is optional. Needed for always on audio and when the server is rebooted, it picks up the queue where it left off. yum search mpd returns about 20 results, so there are already many existing packages that use it. The hard part is making it selinux compatible.
- MPH 2B Damase Public domain font that includes scripts such as Deseret and Shavian.
- mtasc - ActionScript 2 compiler generating flash srpm here
- n2n - open source GPL3 layer-two peer-to-peer virtual private network - Hamachi like easy networking
- NagiosGrapher - Nagios Stats graphing.
- Nagstamon - Nagios status monitor which takes place in systray or on desktop (GNOME, KDE, Windows) as floating statusbar.
- NAT-PT - Network Address Translation, Protocol Translation IPv4/IPv6 - allows IPv6-only networks to connect to IPv4-only networks (based on RFC 2766). Per this go6.net blog post, NAT-PT is dead.
nautilussvn - Subversion commands integrated into the GNOME Nautilus file manager.Succeeded by RabbitVCS (in F12)
- ncbi - NCBI libraries and tools for biology applications srpm here
- neatx - Open Source NX server, similar to the commercial NX server from NoMachine
- netperf - A benchmark that can be used to measure the performance of many different types of networking.
- newlib is a C library intended for use on embedded systems.
- Ninja, a small build system similar to make.
- noteedit - Free music score editor. NOTE: seems to be dead - last version in 2006. Also requires TSE3 which also has been dead for some years.
- numpydoc - tools (python-sphinx extension) to build documentation formatted in numpydoc format used by many python projects
- OBM OBM is enterprise-class messaging and collaboration platform for workgroup or enterprises with many thousands users. OBM includes Groupware, messaging server, CRM, LDAP, Windows Domain, smartphone and PDA synchronization… Note: Uses stock services and ,hence, makes it less invasive. License:GPL
- Okawix - Offline wikipedia Reader. GPL
- OnTV - A TV scheduler using XMLTV backends
- OpenBUGS - Bayesian inference Using Gibbs Sampling software
- OpenGroupware - Groupware software
- opennx - OpenNX is an OSS drop-in replacement for Nomachine's nxclient
OpenShot - A non linear easy-to-use video editor. Python based, pure GPL 3.-> Cannot be included since it uses the MLT framework, can be packaged at RPM Fusion. Accepted in RPMFusion (993).
openlp.org - Display words for songs, for use in churchesReview completed, to be in F13
OpenOffice Presentation Minimizer - reduces the size of ooimpress documents, requires javaThis is already available as openoffice.org-presentation-minimizer (and it doesn't require java)
- OpenProj - A desktop replacement of Microsoft Project
- OpenStego - the free Steganography solution
- otcomp - OpenType layout compiler, needed to build some FLOSS fonts
- PAIDA - PAIDA is pure Python scientific analysis package
paint-mono - An unofficial effort to port Paint.NET 3.0 to Linux using Mono- Cannot be included since Paint is partly licensed under a non-commercial license
- pam_script - PAM module for executing scripts (orphan)
- PayMaster Payroll aymaster was developed in New Zealand to match the needs of both small and large organisations. Utilising an easily customisable back-end, that calculates the results to help meet the diverse requirements of your specific payroll. Complex tax laws, leave, varying pay rates, allowances, superannuation are just some of the things our payroll system can handle. It can also handle cost accounting by analysing and reporting wage costs to multiple branches and departments, different pay rates, etc. Full reporting features are available.
- PCITOP - a PCI bus utilization monitoring tool.
- PEAR HTML_Template_Flexy - An extremely powerful Tokenizer driven Template engine
- PEAR MDB2_Driver_mysqli - PEAR mysqli MDB2 driver
- PEDA and Peda examples - for FEL spin - GPLv3 Professional(Portable,Peter's) Electronic Design Automation tool
- Pencil - A UI design / sketching tool, Mozilla-based
- perl-CDDB_get - Read the CDDB entry for an audio CD in your drive srpm here
- perl-Qt4 - perl binding for Qt4 it's two perl modules QtGui and QtCore
- Photivo Photivo is a free and open source photo processor. It handles your RAW files as well as your bitmap files in a non-destructive 16 bit processing pipe with gimp workflow integration and batch mode. [hpejakle] is working on this
- PhotoFilmStrip Create slideshow movies from photos
- php-pecl-syck, php-pecl-syck php-pecl-syck
- pligg is a digg like CMS that uses PHP and MySQL.
- pluf - a php webapp framework
- pmacct - flexible traffic-accounting with packet-capturing, netflow and sflow (import, export, logging to DB, ...)
pmtools Tools for examining kernel ACPI tablesIn F13
PPTP-Config - PPTP - config program part of the pptp. Already has FC6 packages.This is depreciated the author recommends networkmanager use.
- prescript - Utility for extracting text from PostScript files srpm here
Prettify Automake - pretty automake outputFunctionality now exists natively in automake as 'silent-rules'
- ProjectCenter is the GNUStep Project's answer to XCode, used for developing, managing, and building GNUStep (Cocoa) based projects
- Pyjamas - web tookit for python
PyPE PyPE (Python Programmers' Editor) is an editor written in Python with the wxPython GUI toolkit.In F12
- python-dap - Data Access Protocol (OPeNDAP) implementation in python srpm here
- PySDM a Storage Device Manager that allows full customization of hard disk mountpoints without manually access to fstab. (Review Request)
- PyTraffic - A free implementation of the Rush Hour puzzle.
- python-egenix-mxdatetime - date and time handling routines for Python
- Partclone Partclone provides utilities to back up and restore used-blocks of a partition and it is designed for higher compatibility of the file system by using existing library, e.g. e2fslibs is used to read and write the ext2 partition. Partclone supports ext2,ext3 and ext4, reiserfs, reiser4,XFs, JfS, Windows: Fat32, Ntfs, MACOS: HFS +, Freebsd: UFS2 and ESX: VMFS. The licenses is GPL
- QuickSoundFontManager - A gui for (a)sfxload / fluidsync to quick load several SF2 soundfonts in a EMU10k chip
- Rasmol - RasMol is a computer program written for molecular graphics visualization intended and used primarily for the depiction and exploration of biological macromolecule structures, such as those found in the Protein Data Bank.
- Rasterbator - The Rasterbator is a .Net(Mono) application which creates rasterized versions of images. The rasterized images can be printed and assembled into enormous (or smaller, if you prefer) posters.
- Rbot - Ruby IRC Bot framework.
- Remuco - a Remote control server, for mobile phones, similar to Bemused and Salling Clicker
- REMnux: A Ubuntu based Linux Distribution for Reverse-Engineering Malware. Package anything that's not in Fedora.
- robofab - Python library with objects that deal with data usually associated with fonts and type design. Required to convert font sources from the proprietary FontLab VFB format to UFO (that Fontforge can read)
- Rodent - filemanager / graphic shell
- rnv - RELAX NG Compact Syntax validator
- ROTgui, a utility for screen rotation for wacom tablet laptops like the IBM x61T and x41T (the Fedora design team will love you for packaging this!)
- rotoscope - a free software rotoscoping application. Dead
- rovclock - ATI Radeon over/underclocking utility - srpm here
- rox-filer - Rox file manager srpm here
- RStudio - RStudio is a new R IDE with excellent features for a wide spectrum of users.
- safte-monitor, Linux SAF-TE SCSI enclosure monitor. It reads disk enclosure status information from SAF-TE capable enclosures (SCSI Accessible Fault Tolerant Enclosures). SAF-TE is common on many intelligent SCSI disk enclosures and some rackmount servers with SCSI hotswap drive bays.
- scsirastools,SCSI RAS Tools for Disk Management.The tools in this project were designed to add to the Serviceability of disk devices under Linux so that the system does not have to be rebooted or taken out of service to perform common maintenance or service functions.
- Sentinella - Sentinella is a KDE4 application that watches your system activity and, in consequence, takes an action that you've chosen.
- Scratch - "Scratch is a programming language that makes it easy to create your own interactive stories, animations, games, music, and art -- and share your creations on the web." Cannot be included in Fedora includes MP3 support
- Screenlets - Screenlets are small owner-drawn applications (written in Python) that can be described as "the virtual representation of things lying/standing around on your desk". Sticknotes, clocks, rulers, ... the possibilities are endless.
- SFLphone - a robust standards-compliant enterprise softphone, for desktop and embedded systems. It is designed to handle several hundreds of calls a day. It has a GTK+ and QT interface, integrates well with GNOME and PulseAudio. Supports SIP and IAX2 (Asterisk).
- Sigil - Excellent epub editor for ebook creation.
- simon-listens - Is an open-source speech recognition program and replaces the mouse and keyboard.
- slimrat - Slimrat is a command-line and graphical application for automated downloading from file hosters like Rapidshare, Megaupload, Depositfiles and many more.
Songbird - Media Player/Browser (Depends pretty heavily on mp3, flash support, ogg support appears broken, other than that some media player and browser functionality exists) (Review Request)Upstream doesn't support Linux anymore.
- spacenav - The spacenav project provides a free, compatible alternative, to the proprietary 3Dconnexion device driver and SDK, for their 3D input devices
- speechd - Device-independent speech synthesis layer (perhaps useful for OLPC?)
- speedcontrol - Small utility to limit DVD drive speed, since most DVD readers sound like lawn mowers at full speed which ruins movie playing experience
- SQuirreL SQL - Graphical Java program that will allow you to view the structure of a JDBC compliant database, browse the data in tables, issue SQL commands
- stardict-fr-academy-1935 - 8th edition of the French Academy dictionnary, in stardict format (1935)
- StatusNet desktop client - is a multi-platform Open Source client for connecting to StatusNet installations.
- Stet - is a free software package for gathering comments about a text document via a webpage
- strongSwan - ipsec implementation with major support of IKEv2 (Review Request)
- Stylus Toolbox - A graphical frontend for managing the functions of Epson Ink Jet printers - including checking ink levels and print head cleaning/alignment.
- swfmill - xml2swf and swf2xml processor with import functionalities srpm here
- Sympa - Mailing list server Review Request
- system-config-control Central control panel for system-config-* tools.
- Tagaini Jisho - a free, open-source Japanese dictionary and kanji lookup that aims at becoming your Japanese study assistant.
- Textpattern - a CMS popular with some web designers. It's GPL and is LAMP-y.
- TinyXML++ - A very nice, modern C++ interface to TinyXML. MIT license. Nice software; painful, obscure build system.
- Tipp10 - A 10 finger write trainer (Has no configure script and a MakeFile generated by qmake for QT on windows)
- TPTP - Eclipse Test & Performance Tools Platform
- Trang - Trang is James Clark's multi-format schema converter based on RELAX-NG. Example RPMs available at authors site and has been checked with gcj.
- toshutils (includes GUI) or toshset (CL only) - Allows users to control Toshiba hardware
TrueCrypt - Free open-source disk encryption software for Linux. Version 5 now includes a WxWidgets Gui and uses Fuse instead of kernel modules for the filesystem parts. Thus, inclusion to Fedora should be possible. Requires some fixing in Main/Main.make to build against Fedora's WxWidgets.Not 'free open-source', i.e. legal would block this. See spot's comments 1 2 on TrueCrypt's version 2.5 license. The issues mentioned with section VI.2 and VI.3 in spot's emails may have been fixed in version 2.7 of the license. The issue mentioned with section III.1.2 and III.2 does not seem to have been fixed at all. (available from RpmFusion)
- TuxShop point of sale and retail management application.
TwoLame A MPEG-1 Audio Layer 2 encoder.Probably would be blocked based on Spot's comment 
- ufsutils Utilities to manage the UFS filesystem, mostly used in BSD or derived operating systems. This include FFS, UFS and UFS2.
- ulatencyd Scriptable daemon daemon that controls how the Linux kernel will spend it's resources on the running processes.
- Unicode Character Database Unicode.org UNIDATA files are used by many packages (perl, gucharmap, etc) in private-copy mode. A common package would be cleaner technically and legally. - Review Request
- uperf - a network performance tool, developed by the Performance Applications Engineering group at Sun Microsystems, that supports modelling and replay of various networking patterns.
- urfkill - For the laptop and mobile devices users, the management of the radio killswitches is important for the connectivity and power consumption. HAL used to take care of this job, but it is now deprecated. The urfkill project is created to fill the gap and to provide more flexible configuration for the rfkill-related function keys.
- Vagalume - A Last.fm client for Gnome and Maemo. Review Request (failed) (available from Livna)
- Vigor - XMMS plugin that acts like Clippy. Fun!
- Visual Python - a Python module that offers real-time 3D output, and is easily usable by novice programmers. Depends on non-free software (Polygon).
-  - Wavelet denoise Gimp plugin
- Wine-doors - an application designed to make installing windows software on Linux (Review Request (dropped))
- Webmin (web-front end to shorewall) - Review Request (dropped) (NB: Webmin had a rather doubtful security record in the past -- NilsPhilippsen)
- WideStudio an open source, Integrated Development Environment for desktop applications
- Wikidot an open source wiki server/wiki farm.
- wNutrak (downloadable from http://www.anpo.republika.pl/download.html) is an UNIQUE tool for downloading data from some modern Garmin GPSes (such as Garmin nuvi 760) and converting it from proprietary .bin format to standard .gpx format. This tool is critical for the free OpenstreetMap project, in order to collect GPS traces from project's contributors.
xcalc - Simple X11 calculator srpm heredone http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=10154
- xdm-xsessions - Xdm session related utilities srpm here
- XMIND - EPL/LGPL Licensed MindMap Software.
- xmlittre - Authoritative 19th century French dictionnary, in stardict format Review Request.
- xnee - a suite of programs that can record, replay and distribute user actions under the X11 environment.
- xProcess, for project management and process improvement.
- xtrabackup - Online backup tool for MySQL/InnoDB -outdated srpm here - check out upstream srpms
- youthree - youthree Highly experimental program to disable/enable U3 and write a CD image to U3 capable flash drives.
- yum-grouppackagetype - A plugin for yum to specify which package types within a package group should be installed when using yum groupinstall (useful for web walkthroughs)
- zenoss - Open Source Monitoring Tool. Dead
- zpb-ttf - ZPB-TTF is a TrueType file parser that provides an interface for reading typographic metrics, glyph outlines, and other information.
- xonotic - Xonotic is a fast paced free, open-source first person shooter licensed under the GNU General Public License.
Fedora Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux (EPEL) WishList
This list is now being maintained at OLPC/Packages_for_F11.
Fedora Font Packages WishList
The Fedora font wishlist is hosted there.
Fedora Perl Packages Wishlist
Edit at Perl Wishlist.
Catalyst::Model::Adaptor - Use a plain class as a Catalyst model @ RHBZ #742538
Catalyst::Authentication::Credential::HTTP - HTTP Basic and Digest authentication for Catalyst @ RHBZ #742549
Catalyst::Plugin::Session::Store::DBIC - Store your sessions via DBIx::Class @ RHBZ #742555
CatalystX::Profile - Profile your Catalyst application with Devel::NYTProf @ RHBZ #742557
CatalystX::REPL - Read::eval::print::loop for debugging your Catalyst application @ RHBZ #742559
CatalystX::SimpleLogin - Provide a simple Login controller which can be reused @ RHBZ #742560
Catalyst::ActionRole::ACL - User role::based authorization action class @ RHBZ #742542
HTML::FormHandler - HTML forms using Moose @ RHBZ #742543
MooseX::RelatedClassRoles - Apply roles to a class related to yours @ RHBZ #742545
CatalystX::InjectComponent - Inject components into your Catalyst application @ RHBZ #742552
Task::Moose -- Moose extensions thought of as "standard."
- Task::Kensho - "A Glimpse at an Enlightened Perl"
Task::Kensho::Exceptions RHBZ #822881
Task::Kensho::OOP RHBZ #822878
Task::Kensho::Testing RHBZ #689477
Task::Kensho::Toolchain RHBZ #689797
Task::Kensho::Logging RHBZ #844670
Task::Padre::Plugin::Deps @ RHBZ #500959- not needed at the moment, it might be rewritten in the future
Acme::PlayCode @ RHBZ #497800
Audio::Beep @ RHBZ #573802
Capture::Tiny @ RHBZ #497807
ExtUtils::InferConfig @ RHBZ #498193
ExtUtils::InstallPAR @ RHBZ #498191
PAR::Packer @ RHBZ #500958
Padre 0.21 not found. We have 0.32.
Syntax::Highlight::Engine::Kate @ RHBZ #497283
Syntax::Highlight::Perl6 @ RHBZ #495693not needed in this release
URI 1.37 not found. We have 1.37.
WebService::Validator::CSS::W3C @ RHBZ #498196
WebService::Validator::HTML::W3C @ RHBZ #498198
perl5i Perl5i @ RHBZ #998496+ dependancies:
autobox::Core @ RHBZ #730031
autobox::dump @ RHBZ #730033
autobox::List::Util @ RHBZ #730034
autovivification @ RHBZ #730037
Child @ RHBZ #730038
DateTime::Format::Epoch @ RHBZ #730043
DateTime::TimeZone::Tzfile @ RHBZ #751809
indirect @ RHBZ #730069
Modern::Perl @ RHBZ #722653
Object::ID @ RHBZ #998235
Perl6::Caller @ RHBZ #998434
Taint::Util @ RHBZ #998447
true @ RHBZ #998465<strike>
- Bricolage - Content Management System (CPAN: Bundle::Bricolage)
- Alzabo - Data modelling tool (CPAN: Alzabo)
- Encode::HanExtra - Extra encodings for Encode (for w3c-markup-validator) @ RHBZ #759758
- Encode::JIS2K - Extra encodings for Encode (for w3c-markup-validator) @ RHBZ #759760
- IMC - Idealx Management Console
- All dependencies should already be in Fedora.
- StevenPritchard has put some work into this already.
PlRPC - A bundle to install PlRPC-Server, Client and prerequisites.
NetPacket::SpanningTree - Assemble and disassemble IEEE 802.3 LLC protocol packets. @ RHBZ #573917
- Inline::Python - Place python code inline with perl, or use python classes/functions within perl
- App::Rad - Rapid (and easy!) creation of command line applications
- Net::Sharktools - Use Wireshark's packet dissection engine from Perl (draft specfile); doesn't work with Wireshark 1.6; works with Wireshark 1.4
Method::Signatures - To make subroutine calls easier to read RHBZ #832810
MCE - Many-core Engine for Perl providing parallel processing capabilities RHBZ #1162531
ZeroMQ - Perl wrapper of the 0MQ message passing library. @ RHBZ #747674
- cpan:Dist-Zilla-Plugins-CJM - Additional useful Dist::Zilla plugins
cpan:Data-Dump-Color - We already package Data::Dump, this is even better. RHBZ #1140223
- Bio::SCF dependency of already packaged perl-Bio-Graphics
Fedora Games Packages WishList
If you want to add games to the list do so on the Fedora Games SIG WishList .
Fedora Astronomy Packages WishList
If you want to add astronomy related packages to the list do so on the Fedora Astronomy SIG WishList .
Web Hosting Control Panels
Analysis of Free software web hosting control panels available for packaging in Fedora.
Edit at SIGs/SciTech/BioinformaticsWishList .
- Autodock Vina - Tool for drug discovery, molecular docking and virtual screening. There's a package under http://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/loveshack/livhpc/
- COPASI - Simulation and analysis of biochemical networks and their dynamics, supports SBML standard for models
- Cytoscape - Platform for the analysis and visualization of complex networks, in particular molecular interaction networks and biological pathways
- GENtle - DNA restriction analysis and cloning tool similar to VectorNTI
- Integrative Genomics Viewer - java-based graphical genomics viewer (licensed under GPLv2)
- MIRA - Genome fragment assembler for sequencing projects classified as 'hard' due to high number of similar repeats. Uses non-free jlfgr -- see Debian packaging.
- NCBI BLAST and other tools - The Basic Local Alignment Search Tool (BLAST) finds regions of local similarity between sequences.
- ncbi-blast+ packaged by jkaluza - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=999383
- NCBI C Toolkit - NCBI libraries and tools for biology applications srpm here
- NCBI C++ Toolkit - a new generation of NCBI libraries and tools for biology
- pyQPCR - qPCR analysis tool
- Staden - sequence handling and analysis software developed at the Medical Research Council Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge, UK
- Taverna - Tool for automation of experimental workflows.
- The WFDB Software Package - Software for viewing, analyzing, and creating recordings of physiologic signals
Formal Methods WishList
The paper "High Assurance (for Security or Safety) and Free-Libre / Open Source Software (FLOSS)... with Lots on Formal Methods" by David A. Wheeler lists lots of tools that can help develop "high assurance" software, particularly "formal methods" tools. A related site, Open Proofs, maintains a list of promising FLOSS formal methods tools and their packaging status. Help would be greatly appreciated.
Some of these tools include:
- Alloy (from MIT)
- BLAST, at http://mtc.epfl.ch/software-tools/blast/ (don't use the obsolete version at Berkeley)
- HOL 4
- HOL Lite
Additional CAS tools, like Axiom, Yacas, and SAGE would be helpful too.
A number have already been done, including Coq, Why / Caduceus / Krakatoa, tex-zfuzz, and minisat2.
See the Wheeler paper (above) and the Open Proofs site for project URLs, license info, what they do, etc.
Fedora KDE Packages WishList
How to add a package
If you're not already a Fedora maintainer, but interested in creating a package on this wish list, see PackageMaintainers/Join for the general process, and PackageMaintainers/CreatingPackageHowTo for the nuts-and-bolts of how to create a package. Packaging/Guidelines describes the guidelines Fedora packages must follow.
The special interest groups may provide additional guidelines and help for processing the packages posted on their wishlist.