Add Nepali language support to latest upstream Fedora
Add Nepali language support to latest upstream Fedora by localizing all applications/packages of Fedora & solve the i18n issues related to Nepali.
- Name: SubirPradhanang , AnkitPatel (Helping)
- Targeted release: Fedora 8
- Last Updated: 2007-08-22
- Current Status (Translation): Status Page
- Essential Modules Status (Translation): 100% complete Status Page
Nepali language support has already been added into GNOME, KDE, Openoffice.org. Firefox/Thundebird localization is on-going for Nepali. All major i18n related issues has been solved by Nepali community & willing to solve if any exists in the Fedora. After getting localized Fedora, Nepali will be in the supported status in next Fedora release.
Benefit to Fedora
Adding one new language will create a community of fedora users from that particular language speaking people. Nepali has become one of most active localization community, and Nepali localization has been spread all over Nepal. So, it will add huge audience for fedora. Eventually, it may attract developers even to work for fedora...
Requires translation of Fedora modules initially & later on work with i18n issues to get the language in supported status...
1. Localize existing fedora essential modules 2. Complete extra modules in terms of translation 3. Solve all i18n related issues.
Users are going to experience Fedora in their Native Language (Nepali)...
- Nepali fonts are available on http://www.nepalinux.org/fonts/, which are under GPL. We have started using Madan.ttf as the default font for Nepali.
Add a bit about language support (Nepali) available in this release...
- Some more details would be nice. Do we have fonts, if so, is it added already? Similarly for IM, or any other locale-specific packages. -- notting
- More details can be found at http://www.nepalinux.org/ -- AnkitPatel
- Good to have Madan.ttf packaged as nepali-fonts package for fedora -- paragn
Last Update Date
August 22, 2007