Java Special Interest Group
A SIG for people who are interested in improving the state of Java in Fedora. This includes packaging Java libraries and applications, setting and improving standards for packaging them as RPM's and collaboratively managing bigger changes related to Java in Fedora.
If you want to take the attention of the SIG members. Please open a bug report and make it block FE-JAVASIG
For more information about the past and upcoming meetings please see the meetings subpage: Java/Meetings
Besides the Java SIG meetings there is also existing a freenode channel for developers and users of java in Fedora:
There's a mailing list here named java-devel which you can join to ask questions.
- JBossAS7 packaging effort
- Eucalyptus packaging effort - includes Spring 3, GWT, Apache Axis 2, and eventually JasperReports
- oVirt packaging effort
State of Affairs
There have been few big updates and changes to core Java packages in the past. Most notably update of Maven to version 2.2.1, rename of jakarta-commons packages to apache-commons (still underway) and most recently update of ant to 1.8.x. All of these changes were mostly organized through bugzilla and wiki pages. This worked out mostly OK, but this could be good place for all tasks related to Java so that everyone can quickly see what is going on.
If you would like to help us with packaging Java software, read how to join Fedora packagers or get in touch with us directly and we will guide you through the process.
Guidelines for building Java packages can be found on a separate page.
See Java packaging common problems page for help with common problems while building java packages and how to solve them.
- Look after Java and Eclipse release notes: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Documentation_Beats
- Update Java page. Some parts are quite outdated (for example maven part)
- Discuss strategies for completing Java packaging requirements for the AutoQA project (see User:Jlaska/autoqa_package_dependencies) - 2 packages ready for package review (htmlunit, htmlunit-core-js)
Currently Open Java Package Review Bugs
We generally like to get new Java packages into Fedora as long as they follow our packaging guidelines. Currently there is no simple way to query bugzilla for Java-only package reviews so people interested in java reviews have it a bit harder. Just go through all open package reviews or Java package reviews. The second link can be incomplete, but should contain mosly Java packages.
Package Update/Rebuild Notes
eclipse-rse must be rebuilt if any of the following packages change version:
eclipse must be rebuilt if any of the following packages are rebuilt:
eclipse-m2e-core must be rebuilt if any of the following packages change version:
eclipse-jgit must be rebuilt if any of the following packages change version:
If you are interested in joining the SIG, please hang out at #fedora-java. If you have provenpackager or sponsor status, please tell us so we might use your help in critical situations :-)
- Stanislav Ochotnicky (provenpackager, sponsor)
- Alexander Kurtakov (provenpackager, sponsor)
- Frank Murphy
- Levente Farkas
- Mat Booth (provenpackager, sponsor)
- Aditya Patawari
- Len DiMaggio
- Orion Poplawski (provenpackager, sponsor)
- Juan Rodriguez
- Eric Deering
- Gerard Braad
- Bozhidar Batsov
- Chris Spike
- Guido Grazioli
- Johannes Lips
- Mary Ellen Foster (provenpackager)
- David Nalley (provenpackager, sponsor)
- Andy Grimm (provenpackager)
- Marek Goldmann (provenpackager, sponsor)
- Mikolaj Izdebski (provenpackager, sponsor)
- Michael Simacek (provenpackager)
- Tomas Radej
- Michal Srb (provenpackager)
- Raphael Groner
- Michel Samia (packager) - I'd like to see gradle in EPEL
- RSyntaxTextArea Required for the latest Arduino IDE.
- clirr-maven-plugin (needed for apache-commons-math 2.1)
- Apache Directory Studio for Eclipse - http://directory.apache.org/studio/
- Memory Analyzer Tool - http://www.eclipse.org/mat/
- Eclipse NSIS - http://eclipsensis.sourceforge.net/index.shtml
- Ant Pack200 tasks - https://deployment.dev.java.net/
- retrotranslator-runtime (Needed for commons-email tests)
- Apache TomEE
- JBoss Forge
- Caffeinewiki (Needed by Apache Solr see SOLR-7355)