|2009-10-22||From 12:00 to 21:00 UTC (8am -> 5pm EDT)||#fedora-test-day (webirc)|
What to test
We'd like to check power management tuning available for Fedora-12.
If you come to this page after the test day is completed, your testing is still valuable. You can check whether you save some energy after applying tuning.
The following cast of characters will be available testing, workarounds, bug fixes, general discussion ...
- Development - Phil Knirsch, Marcela Maslanova (marcela on irc), Petr Lautrbach, Jiri Skala (skalnik on irc)
- Quality Assurance - Jan Scotka
- Rawhide (development version of Fedora) with graphical environment
- SELinux disabled
- Internet connection
- The special-purpose Testday RPM package (i686, x86_64 ppc ppc64) which includes necessary dependencies and provides all testing scripts.
- Download and install with:
yum --nogpgcheck --enablerepo=rawhide-debuginfo localinstall testday-pm-0.5-1.fc12.YOURARCH.rpm
- Download and install with:
- Kernel debugging info:
debuginfo-install kernelor install it manually. (In case of manual installation, you have to enable debug repository in
- Versions of
kernel-debuginfomust be the same. Please check it with:
rpm -q kernel-debuginfo
- Upload your hardware to Smolt according to these instructions.
Running the tests
Update your machine
It will be needed rawhide machine. Howto install or update Rawhide.
The test cases are split into test groups. Some of the tests are a bit time-consuming. Please perform as many tests as possible. If you aren't able to run them all, please remember that the tests in each table are sorted by importance in descending order.
You don't have to download any special scripts for each test. Our Testday package provides following commands:
testday-pack-results(packing results of all tests in .tag.gz file)
There is a note about permission in the description of each test. Please follow this information.
X Window System
These tests should be performed on all systems in X11 environment.
|personal||Typical use of computer (do whatever you are doing usually). CPU states and frequencies.||10 minutes|
|scomes||Ticks, syscall count, read/written bytes when performing some specific tasks.||1 minute|
These tests should be performed in single mode.
|tuned||CPU states and frequencies when tuning daemon enabled||7 minutes|
|basic||Stress situations (BZIP2 compression, disk copying, vsftpd test)||2 minutes|
Following tests are intended only for laptops. If you don't have a laptop, don't perform these tests because they are based on capacity of a battery.
|bltk||Power consumption during three simulated workloads (idle, OpenOffice, reader).||15 minutes|
|tunedprofiles||Tuned profiles effect on power consumption.||5-20 minutes|
- Send your Smolt profile if you haven't done it already (see Prerequsite).
- Create compressed file with results by running:
- Upload created file to this wiki.
- Add your results into the table below.
|User||Smolt Profile||Results file|