|Line 470:||Line 470:|
Revision as of 09:13, 19 September 2012
|OpenStack Test Days|
- 1 Who's available
- 2 Prerequisite for Test Day
- 3 How to test?
- 4 Install and setup all Openstack services on a single node
- 5 Setup OpenStack volumes
- 6 Install and setup Quantum on a single node
- 7 Test Cases
- 8 Test Results
The following cast of characters will be available testing, workarounds, bug fixes, and general discussion ...
- Development - Apevec (apevec)
- Development - Derekh (derekh)
- Development - eglynn (eglynn)
- Deployment - gkotton (garyk)
- Consulting - kensey (kensey)
- Development - markmc (markmc)
- Development - mrunge (mrunge)
- Development - Pbrady (pixelbeat)
- Deployment - rbuilta (rbuilta)
- Deployment - sten (sten)
- Deployment - Vaneldik (vaneldik)
- Development - ndipanov (ndipanov)
- Development - nsantos (nunofsantos)
- Development - dprince (dprince)
- Development - imain (Slower)
Prerequisite for Test Day
- Hardware virtualization support (e.g. Intel VT or AMD-V).
- Up to 10-20Gb free disk space. Guest images take up a lot of space.
This is a Fedora 18 test day, but we have OpenStack Folsom packages available for both Fedora 18 and Fedora 17.
Fedora 18 Alpha live image can be used to install a bare metal or virtual machine. Please record common Fedora 18 issues here:
- Video doesn't work in a VM unless video type is set to 'vga' #848930
- Auto partitioning wipes the disk without warning #855976
- The installing packages step can take over 30 minutes #856993
- The "swipe to remove" screen lock causes X corruption #857017
Alternatively, try updating from Fedora 17 to Fedora 18 using yum.
Recent Fedora 17 live image respins can be used to install a bare metal or virtual machine.
How to test?
Follow the steps below to prepare the machine, then follow each of the test cases in order.
Add your account to sudoers, which can be done from a root prompt like:
(umask 337; echo "non_root_user ALL = (ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL" > /etc/sudoers.d/testday)
Update your machine
Make sure you have all the current updates for it installed:
sudo yum --enablerepo=updates-testing clean all sudo yum update -y
Optionally Load nbd
If you don't perform this optional step, then libguestfs will be used to inject files into qcow2 images. Note however that is slower, especially if testing openstack within a VM
sudo modprobe nbd echo nbd | sudo tee -a /etc/modules-load.d/nbd.conf
Put SELinux into Permissive Mode
While SELinux mostly works with OpenStack services there are a few issues
sudo sed -i 's/^SELINUX=.*/SELINUX=permissive/' /etc/selinux/config sudo setenforce permissive
Please do note any AVC _denials_ you see in /var/log/audit/audit.log and file them in bugzilla, and update this list:
- RHBZ #856548 general - Intermittent failures adding users to groups
- RHBZ #856653 glance - api can't access mysql
- RHBZ #837330 glance - 'name_connect' accesses on the tcp_socket
Install and setup all Openstack services on a single node
sudo wget http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/openstack/openstack-folsom/fedora-openstack-folsom.repo -O /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-openstack-folsom.repo
FEDORA 18 ONLY To avoid issues with stale libvirt, netcf, virt-viewer packages in official Fedora 18 repositories please enable this side repository containing the latest such packages:
sudo wget http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/openstack/f18-testing/f18-testing.repo -O /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-testing.repo
FEDORA 18 ONLY To workaround RHBZ #858188 issue with keystone you should do:
sudo yum install -y openstack-keystone sudo openstack-config --del /etc/keystone/keystone.conf DEFAULT onready sudo sed -i 's/Type=notify/Type=simple/' /usr/lib/systemd/system/openstack-keystone.service
FEDORA 18 ONLY To workaround RHBZ #858311 issue with libvirtd auth:
sudo yum install -y libvirt-daemon sudo sed -i 's/#\(auth_unix_r[ow] = "none"\)/\1/' /etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf
So now the yum repositories are in place as is the openstack-demo-install script. This script will install all OpenStack services on a single node, including: nova, glance, quantum, cinder, swift, keystone, dashboard. Note it configures and enables all but the quantum service at this time:
sudo yum install -y openstack-utils sudo openstack-demo-install
Note this is a major test in itself, so please record any issues encountered.
Now copy the keystonerc file created by the install script above to your home directory, so that it can be easily sourced to provide the credentials used by the various OpenStack command line utilities.
sudo cp /root/keystonerc ~
If you're running in a VM, then Nova needs this tweak to support nested virtualization, or otherwise you get RHBZ #858216 'libvirtError: unsupported configuration: CPU specification not supported by hypervisor' when starting instances:
sudo openstack-config --set /etc/nova/nova.conf DEFAULT libvirt_cpu_mode none
Setup OpenStack volumes
The OpenStack volume service provides persistent block level storage to instances.
This is a commonly used service, so please enable using
Install and setup Quantum on a single node
As an option, you can replace the network manager internal to the OpenStack Nova project with Quantum.
- Create a builder instance
- Create and boot from a bootable volume
- Create an image from a running volume-backed instance
- Basic dashboard setup and login
- Launch/terminate an instance with the dashboard
- Managing projects and users with the dashboard
- VNC access to instances through the dashboard
If you have problems with any of the tests, report a bug to Bugzilla usually for one of the openstack-nova, openstack-glance, openstack-keystone, openstack-cinder,openstack-quantum or openstack-swift components. If you are unsure about exactly how to file the report or what other information to include, just ask on IRC and we will help you.
Once you have completed the tests, add your results to the Results table below, following the example results from the first line as a template. The first column should be your name with a link to your User page in the Wiki if you have one. For each test case, use the result template to enter your result, as shown in the example result line.