- This page is helpful and I used their config and modified it to our needs.
- The Sphinx indexer simply runs on a cron, so that part is simple.
- As far as front end, we are going to look at packaging the above linked MW extension.
- The extension depends on sphinxapi.php, which is in the libsphinxclient package, at /usr/share/doc/libsphinxclient-0.9.9/sphinxapi.php.
- The extension does not seem to work with MW 1.16, but we want to upgrade eventually anyway.
- Sphinx does not crawl, it only indexes databases, which kind of defeats the purpose for us.
- Doesn't have a crawler built in.
- Most stuff is done via Omega, Xapian just backs it.
- Hacky way to crawl sites: Crawl with htdig, convert into a format omega understands and can index.
- htdig is unsupported and *OLD*.
- htdig seems to segfault on https sites in my testing.
- Omega's default UI is *ugly* but that is changeable.
- Looks nice. Has a somewhat nice UI, and is customizable.
- Built in crawler, with a default 1000 line (with comments) config file.
- CGI barfs when there are results: bug 19129 and bug 19141 upstream.
- Being able to view results might be important, in a search engine. :)