The vision for fedoracommunity.org
Fedora has a lot of local community websites. A somewhat recent addition to the mix is Fedora's local community domain program, whereby a local Fedora community can obtain a *.fedoracommunity.org domain to point to their self-hosted website.
In the midst of a thread on the advisory-board mailing list, it became clear that it would be a good thing to have a single place where folks seeking out their particular local Fedora community could go to find it, rather than searching in multiple | places for their community. In the thread, a Fedora Infrastructure ticket to this end was also referenced.
The work so far
Matt Domsch created | the barebones portal page for this directory that is up on fedoracommunity.org now, | asking for assistance in making it a nicer-looking site. I posted an initial mockup for feedback in reply</a>, and since then [http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/webdesign/fedoracommunity.org/ have iterated a few times based on the feedback I've gotten. I've been working with Sijis Aviles, who very quickly took my early mockups and produced a first cut at an HTML/CSS version of them.
A few design decisions have been made throughout this process that you might want to be aware of:
- Both national flags and national borders can, in a few cases, be quite controversial and stir up hard feelings so we did our best to avoid them in the design.
(The countries have been split up by continent because there are quite a lot to list on one page, and the continent to which a country belongs nor the shape of the continents of the world are not so controversial.
- We're considering using screenshots of each local site to help users distinguish between different communities that share the same country. Having the screenshots displayed on the screen all at once makes it a little cluttered, so Sijis and I have discussed using something like on-hover popup snapshots instead.
- This design uses the new Comfortaa font that the Fedora Design team is trialing usage of for a new Fedora titling font.
All mockups are contained in the following source file:
SVG Source for all get.fpo mockups (last updated 2 Aug 2010)
- Máirín's Blog Post: http://mairin.wordpress.com/2010/07/19/fedoracommunity-org-website-design/
- Thread on ambassadors' list: http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/ambassadors/2010-July/014974.html