This page exists to explain the structure and organization of the Advocate within the Fedora Project
- Advocate is a member of Advocate FAS Group in the Fedora Account System (FAS). They work in unison with Regional Ambassadors to represent Fedora in conferences, deliver talks/workshops, foster the contributor base and generate a quarterly report which benefits their Ambassador Application when they apply.
- Ambassador is a member of the Ambassadors Group in the Fedora Account System (FAS). See https://admin.fedoraproject.org/accounts/. More pragmatically, an Ambassador serves the purpose of being a representative of Fedora.
- Mindshare is the governing body of Fedora Ambassadors Project (hereafter Ambassadors Project).
- Ambassadors Membership Administrator(hereafter FAMA) is the person(s), nominated by Mindshare, are responsible for maintenance and overseeing Ambassador FAS membership, Ambassadors FAS Sponsors and Ambassadors Mentors in accordance with directives issued by FAmSCo.
- Region Fedora has divided the world into geographical regions to push responsibility and authority out. Currently, those regions are Asia Pacific (APAC), Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA), Latin America (LATAM), and North America (NA).
Mindshare has appointed and elected members, and initially there will be 9 seats:
- FCAIC (chair)
- Ambassadors (2 appointed members)
- Design & Web (appointed)
- Docs (appointed)
- Marketing (appointed)
- Commops (appointed)
- (2 elected seats)
Duties and functions
- organizes the general structure of the Ambassadors project;
- distributes resources globally;
- organizes global initiatives;
- coordinates membership management and the mentoring initiative.
- promotes the cohesion between Ambassadors and Regions;
- nominates the Ambassadors Membership Administrator;
- promotes the diffusion of the Fedora Project's principles.
- resolve any disputes brought before it
The other functions, if not required by the situation, are managed by the regional leadership.
To deal with the large influx of Ambassador membership related administrivia, Mindshare routinely appoints several Ambassadors to serve as Membership Administrators. These individuals have been delegated the responsibility of handling membership details on behalf of Mindshare.
Each region, due to geographical and cultural differences, largely manages activities and budget within its region. Some regions have a highly structured local organization, while others are more ad hoc. Leadership, whether de facto, elected or appointed is responsible to transparently operate within the community.
Ambassadors are the representatives of Fedora to the public, and the larger F/LOSS community. Ambassadors have the purpose of ensuring that those audiences understand Fedora's principles, and know of the work that Fedora is doing. Additionally, Ambassadors are responsible for helping to grow the contributor base, and to act as a liaison between other F/LOSS projects and the Fedora community.