FAmSCo Meeting Minutes: 2006-04-10
2006-04-11 03:00 UTC => 2006-04-10 11:00PM EDT
- lxmaier: AlexMaier
- mspevack: MaxSpevack
- gregdek_home: GregDeKoenigsberg
- mether: RahulSundaram
- tchung: ThomasChung
- nman64: PatrickBarnes
Meeting Time (EDT)
- 23:03:49 - Meeting opens
- 00:10:29 - Meeting adjourned
- mspevack speaks:
- 1) breakdown in communication
- who was supposed to drive this with Rodrigo?
- How was there so much lag in our approval and him knowing about it?
- Action Item -- for every show in the future, someone in famsco must own it
- 2) fixing FISL
- we need to get him 3000
- if you read famsco list, he's got a good breakdown of how the money will be spent.
- Paypal is too slow at this point, we need to break process and wire him the money
- mspevack: i can do that if need be
- lxmaier: mspevack: if you can--all the power to you
- mspevack: ok, that's it
Reimbursement Process and Policy
- gregdek_home: When do we hammer out the process for paying ambassadors when it needs to happen? More to the point: who is responsible for coming up with that policy?
- lxmaier: i wrote it up, and it looks everyone agreed
Owning an Event
- mspevack speaks:
- as i posted to famsco-list, someone on famsco needs to be wholly accountable for every event for which famsco approves budget
- that means:
- - making sure the local ambassadors who are responsible are doing what they are supposed to do
- - making sure our process is being followed
- - making sure they get their money from whoever in famsco pays it on time
- - having the authority to pull the plug if everything is going downhill
- for each event, someone in famsco should volunteer. if that becomes too much of a burden, well, we'll figure it out
- nman64: Is there any reason that our Events team couldn't handle "owning" events?
- gregdek_home: Single. Owner.
- lxmaier: i have to second gregdek_home
- gregdek_home: That's the problem we just saw. A group cannot effectively own something. An individual must.
- mspevack: exactly
- lxmaier: we can try this procedure out and figure out the details and stuff as we see the weaknesses
- let's use linuxtag as an example -- it's coming up *soon*.
- Someone, before the meeting ends tonight, needs to own that event,
- and actually do things like know the date of it, etc.
- next week, that person will speak to the status
- that way we can make sure progress is being made
- gregdek_home: FAMSCO needs a treasurer -- or someone whose job it is to disburse money.
- gregdek_home volunteers to *not* be the treasurer. ;-)
- lxmaier: and i don't mind handling all payments, as long as i do not have to work with the folks--i am truly at capacity at the moment
- mspevack volunteers to be the money point
- mspevack: ultimately i'm accountable for the budget, so why not just make me the treasurer? get the process started, i can always hand it to someone else
- lxmaier: then all the power to you mspevack
- gregdek_home: Let mspevack figure out his accounting procedures.
- mspevack will be the treasurer
Task Team Reassignmenet
- tchung: I noticed, mether hasn't joined any task team. :)
- mether: I will be in events
- tchung: I'll add you name there now.
- tchung: I would like to remove myself from events.
- tchung: ok, then I'm removing myself from events now.
- lxmaier: okay then, mspevack will be responsible for FISL
- lxmaier: who takes linuxtag?
- gregdek_home: I'll take it.
- mspevack: whoever takes linuxtag needs to be in touch with GeroldKa and Florian tomorrow and figure out what they need
- mspevack: they need shirts and dvds
- mspevack: i own FISL, i am treasurer, greg owns LinuxTag
- mspevack: honestly, i would just like to see an agenda for each meeting ahead of time with the pending tasks and owners, we run through a status, then address and assign new business
- mether: and can we have an agenda before we start the meetings next time
- lxmaier: the agenda will be posted on Ambassadors/SteeringCommittee/Meetings
- lxmaier: and as we usually will have less to discuss, there is no need for a separate page
Task Group Report: Budget
- lxmaier report:
- i will post the guidelines for reimbursement to the ambassadors list
- and if someone wants to build on this and make it available in more formats, all the better
- i will post it on the wiki - Ambassadors/SteeringCommittee
- mether: i think the processes should be in the wiki
- mether: even in the feedback stage
- mether: mark it as a draft doc during the feedback stage
- lxmaier: i have nothing further on budget
Task Group Report: Members Services
- tchung reports:
- I don't have much to say for members service except
- I've been updating a list of ambassadors who signed CLA and joined "ambassadors" group officially
- nman64: tchung is doing a great job. He makes Bob and I look pathetic on the team. ;-)
- lxmaier: kudos tchung
Task Group Report: Schwag
- gregdek_home speaks:
- DVDs headed for the store right now. Packs of 50 should be available within the week.
- Lots of other stuff headed for production
- got a note from the coolstuff store today to confirm some stuff.
- tchung: Can we go live this week?
- tchung: I would like to add Karlie's link if everyone agrees
- nman64: tchung: Distribution is your project. That is your decision to make.
- lxmaier: tchung: please do anything to help her, it's a great initiative!
- nman64: tchung: Make sure that Karlie agrees to the listing.
- tchung: ok the, I'll go live tomorrow officially after I check with Karlie.
- mspevack: tchung: +1 to nman -- run it by Karlie, if she's fine with it, then go for it
Media Labels and Guidelines
- mether: gregdek_home, what about media labels?
- gregdek_home: Oh, yeah, we've got some official PDFs. I'll upload them in the next few days. Where should I put them -- got a URL handy?
- gregdek_home: Perfect. I'll upload asap.
- mether: gregdek_home, also there is going to be multiple labels. are we going to pick any of them as the formal one
- gregdek_home: mether: Personally? I don't see why we should.
- mether: gregdek_home, or let vendors choose whatever they want to use from the entries
- gregdek_home: So long as none of the entries "modify" the logo, I'm fine with any of them.
- tchung: I noticed that "Bubbles Theme" labels do not have any copyright information.
- gregdek_home: Ah, yeah, then we need to fix that.
- nman64: The Artwork team is going to be working towards a small set of standardized pieces.
- lxmaier: mether: would you mind owning the issue of having all art posted at the url Artwork/CDArt
- lxmaier: include all necessary information, such as (c) notice?
- mether: besides dont we need them all to sign the CLA?
- mether: lxmaier, I would follow up on that
- nman64: lxmaier: We can get it in the Artwork guidelines. I'll mention it on the Artwork list.
- tchung: Maybe we should have "art" group in Fedora Account System.
- nman64: tchung: Yep. It'll be up soon.
- nman64: It seems that many of the Ambassadors do not feel like tracking Fedora news is their responsibility.
- nman64: A few have complained that we should have made a separate announcement on the Ambassadors list about the Foundation.
- nman64: mether and I are of the position that they should be monitoring our primary news sources, such as fedora-announce-list.
- tchung: perhaps, I should ask every *new* ambassadors to subscribe to fedora-announce-list
- nman64: I think this points to a much deeper issue of the Ambassadors not realizing the commitment they have made to the Project.
- lxmaier: ambassadors are not a fedora appreciation club, it's a group of volunteers who are there to do some work, and many ambassadors do not recognize that
- lxmaier: some people can do more, some less, but it is always work that's involved
- mspevack: how can the ambassadors do their job if they cannot speak about the current issues in fedora. they have to keep up. it's insane to think otherwise
- mether: tchung, make it part of the ambassadors howto a point about subscribe to the announce list, reading fedoranews.org, Red Hat magazine, fedora people and any other places as necessary to keep themselves informed of the major changes.
- nman64: Indeed. This isn't a Country Club, it is a project with goals. We should try to focus on this point more in our introductory documentation.
- gregdek_home: On this page: Ambassadors
- gregdek_home: ...we have a great section called "Aims". It's good.
- gregdek_home: It should be augmented by a section called "Duties"...
- gregdek_home: ...which has the duties that people should perform to accomplish the Aims.
- mspevack: gregdek_home: so, you gonna write that up? ;-)
- gregdek_home: mspevack: On it right now.
- nman64: FedoraNEWS.ORG's weekly news summary is sent to fedora-announce-list (hats off to tchung), so I think we should really point to that list as the single biggest way to keep track of new developments.
- mether: which brings me to another point, what does it take to endorse fedoranews.org as the official source for news in a similar fashion to fedoraforum.org
- nman64: We do need to come up with a "stamp of approval" for endorsing high-quality sites.
- mether: tchung, I personally think that fedoranews.org should push out daily news updates
- mether: tchung, weekly news can be just a summary of the daily news. waiting for news to get published makes it stale on many occasions
- 2006-04-17 23:00 UTC
- channel: #fedora-famsco (this is an invitation-only private channel)