AArch64 Xfce Desktop image
Add an AArch64 Xfce Desktop image to deliverables in Fedora 31.
- Name: Paul Whalen
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Responsible WG: ARM SIG
- Targeted release: Fedora 31
- Last updated: 2019-07-23
- Tracker bug: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
- Release notes tracker: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
We currently offer Workstation, Minimal and Server images for use with AArch64 Single Board Computer's (SBC's). We would like to add a lighter weight desktop image for hardware that lacks the ability to run accelerated desktops. An initial set of supported devices:
- Raspberry Pi 3/4
- 96boards HiKey
- 96boards Dragonboard 410c
Benefit to Fedora
Better user experience and an additional desktop choice on AArch64 SBC's.
- Proposal owners: The ARM SIG will make the kickstart changes needed to add the desktop images to the compose.
- Other developers: N/A
- Release engineering: Enable building of the AArch64 XFCE desktop image.
- Policies and guidelines: N/A (not needed for this Change)
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
No upgrade compatibility required, this is a new image variant.
How To Test
Testing can be completed on any supported AArch64 SBC using the existing arm-image-installer. Any additional instructions will be added to the ARM installation documentation.
Users will have increased choice in desktop offerings for AArch64 SBC's. Those looking to install a desktop on hardware that lacks an accelerated graphics driver or lower system specifications will have a useable option.
N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Contingency mechanism: N/A
- Contingency deadline: N/A
- Blocks release? No
- Blocks product? No
All documentation will be added or updated via the ARM Landing Page.