[ARM] Fedora15 HardFP Bootstrap Virtual FAD - 2011/07/08
We wish to accelerate the bringup of Fedora 15 on ARMv7 systems running with hardware floating point (hardfp). To that end, we are running regular bootstrap days, during which we will meet in a virtual capacity (on IRC, and over the phone) to build up through cross-compilation (and other means) the core packages required for Fedora 15 to become self-hosting on ARMv7 with hardware floating point.
When and Where
IRC: #fedora-arm on irc.freenode.net
Phone: No phone this time :)
Etherpad: (NEEDS UPDATING - REMOVE THIS AFTER UPDATING INFORMATION) http://www.tinyurl.com/fedora-arm (including full list of international dialin numbers)
- Recap from the July 1st Fedora Activity Day
- STAGE3. Approach to today's activities is to continue with building "stage3" packages (http://scotland.proximity.on.ca/fedora-arm/armv7hl/), which are being installed into the rootfs contained within the "armv7hl" fedorahosted git repository after being built (still on separate branches, per the stage2 process in the next item below). Now that we have a working RPM (and therefore rpmbuild), we can build native packages. We are currently working on bootstrapping sufficient dependencies to build a python package natively, and will continue with this. dgilmore, jcm, and others on IRC will help co-ordinate this. We will also fix Architectures/ARM/Fedora15 HardFP Bootstrap to document this "stage3" process.
- STAGE2. In some cases, non-packages stage2 bits will be required per the instructions in Architectures/ARM/Fedora15 HardFP Bootstrap (make sure you do your work on a armv7hl-YOUR_FAS_USERNAME or a group named branch so that we can track who is doing what and back out changes if we discover a problem with your setup later, etc.)
- Summary of events and plan for next VFAD
- Plan is for the next event to be in a regular Friday slot (perhaps Friday afternoons?)
- Internet connection to log into IRC, and phone if possible (phone not essential)
- A supported ARMv7 target board
- Lots of coffee
- A pre-requisite is a working ARMv7-compatible supported target board, such as a BeagleBoard or a PandaBoard.
- You can find out more from the main Fedora ARM pages about obtaining a pre-built rootfs (no installer yet)
- We now have some Fedora ARM kernel packages for OMAP-based boards
- Follow the instructions for setting up a chroot using the Architectures/ARM/Fedora15 HardFP Bootstrap armv7hl rootfs in the Fedora ARM git repository (make sure you do your work on a armv7hl-YOUR_FAS_USERNAME or a group named branch so that we can track who is doing what and back out changes if we discover a problem with your setup later, etc.)