AArch64 Xfce Desktop image
Add an AArch64 Xfce Desktop spin disk image to deliverables in Fedora 31.
- Name: Paul Whalen
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Responsible WG: ARM SIG
- Targeted release: Fedora 31
- Last updated: 2019-08-12
- Tracker bug: #1739972
- Release notes tracker: #370
We currently offer Workstation, Minimal and Server images for use with AArch64 Single Board Computer's (SBC's). We would like to add a lighter weight desktop image for hardware that lacks the ability to run accelerated desktops.
An initial set of supported devices:
- Raspberry Pi 3
- 96boards HiKey
- 96boards Dragonboard 410c
Benefit to Fedora
Better user experience and an additional desktop choice for AArch64 SBC's.
- Proposal owners: The ARM SIG will make the kickstart changes needed to add the desktop images to the compose.
- Other developers: N/A
- Release engineering: Enable building of the AArch64 XFCE desktop image. Small tweaks may be required to the pungi configs or fedora kickstarts but those will be completed by the SIG and sent as pull requests. Issue#8556
- Policies and guidelines: N/A (not needed for this Change)
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
No upgrade compatibility required, this is a new image variant.
How To Test
Testing can be completed on any supported AArch64 SBC using the existing arm-image-installer. Any additional instructions will be added to the ARM installation documentation.
Users will have increased choice in desktop offerings for AArch64 SBC's. Those looking to install a desktop on hardware that lacks an accelerated graphics driver or lower system specifications will have a useable option.
N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Contingency mechanism: N/A
- Contingency deadline: N/A
- Blocks release? No
- Blocks product? No
All documentation will be added or updated via the ARM Landing Page.