Change Proposal Name
C and C++ RPM Macros Package
Create a new package called c-cxx-rpm-macros and move all C and C++ related macros into it from redhat-rpm-config.
- Name: Tom Stellard
- Email: <email@example.com>
- Targeted release: Fedora Linux 36
- Last updated: 2021-12-01
- FESCo issue: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
- Tracker bug: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
- Release notes tracker: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
A new package called c-cxx-rpm-macros will be created and added as a dependency of redhat-rpm-config. The following files and directories be moved into it from redhat-rpm-config:
In addition the following macros from the macros file will be moved into a macros.c-cxx file in the new package:
Benefit to Fedora
This change will not be visible to Fedora end-users, but it will provide some benefits to Fedora packagers:
- Moving some of the brp scripts out of redhat-rpm-config and into c-cxx-rpm-macros means that they won't be run for packages that don't depend on clang or gcc. This will help speed up some builds.
- This will help reduce the review burden of redhat-rpm-config maintainers who aren't interested in C/C++ changes.
- Proposal owners:
* Create new c-cxx-rpm-macros package and move the relevant content from redhat-rpm-config. * Test the changes.
- Other developers: N/A
- Release engineering: #Releng issue number
- Policies and guidelines: N/A (not needed for this Change)
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
- Alignment with Objectives:
How To Test
These changes will be tested by doing test builds of a sampling of Fedora packages.
- Contingency mechanism: (What to do? Who will do it?) The proposal owners will revert the changes in redhat-rpm-config and removed the c-cxx-rpm-macros package
- Contingency deadline: Beta Freeze
- Blocks release? No
No documentation changes planned.