Build all JDKs in Fedora against in-tree libraries and with static stdc++lib
This is initial step to move JDKs to be more like other JDKs, to build proper transferable images, and to lower certification burden of each binary. Long storyshort, first step in: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MoveFedoraJDKsToBecomePortableJDKs
This first step will move, one by one, individual JDKs in F37 to be built
--with-stdc++lib=static and against in-tree (bundeld) libraries:
--with-zlib="bundled" --with-freetype="bundled" --with-libjpeg="bundled" --with-giflib="bundled" --withlibpng="bundled" --with-lcms="bundled" --with-harfbuzz="bundled"
We already made a heavy testing of the behavior, and user should not face negative experience. Still I'm not sure if this testing can ever be enough, considering all the use-cases we do not know.
It is not goal to embed any security libraries. JDK is using several security providers, and all are currently loaded dynamically in runtime. Still there is remaining issue with cacerts: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MoveFedoraJDKsToBecomePortableJDKs#cacerts
- Name: Jiri Vanek
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- System or Self contained change? By the changes done, this is Self Contianed Change. However from view of impact, and possible world notification, it is more System Wide Change.
- Targeted release: Fedora Linux 37
- Last updated: 2022-05-18
- devel thread
- FESCo issue: #2794
- Tracker bug: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
- Release notes tracker: <will be assigned by the Wrangler>
Please see https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MoveFedoraJDKsToBecomePortableJDKs for whole picture
Please see https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MoveFedoraJDKsToBecomePortableJDKs#Move_JDKs_in_RPMs_to_become_portable for this particular step. I would rather keep the details in the main page then here.
See very valuable thread about the topic: https://email@example.com/thread/IR5C3YVVABP6LVCXQL3UY5VZPSYWDAF5/
According to short investigations, there are already precedents, where certification is a reason to build once, certificate, and repack.
According to developers, the non-portbale JDK is causing upredicted behavior different from other JDK vendors
According to JDK packagers and testers, there is to much JDKs now, and the https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MoveFedoraJDKsToBecomePortableJDKs#Move_Fedora_JDKs_to_become_single-built.2C_portable.2C_ordinary_JDKs.2C_while_keeping_comfortable.2C_usual_system_integration is the only way out
Benefit to Fedora
Please see https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MoveFedoraJDKsToBecomePortableJDKs#Motivation for whole picture.
This particualr proposal's main benefit will be that Fedora's JDKs as packed in RPMs will again start to resemble upstream JDKs and other vendors build, and some platfrom specific issues disappear, while JDKs remain same in view of system integration and user expereince
- Proposal owners: push improved version of https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/java-latest-openjdk/pull-request/98#request_diff to all JDKs - one freby one from latest, over 17 to 11 and 8. Once settled down in F37 the backport to F36 is expected.
- Other developers: really, nothing. If there will be unexpected impact to other developers, the https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MoveFedoraJDKsToBecomePortableJDKs may need rework
- Release engineering: #10798
- Policies and guidelines: N/A (not needed for this Change)
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
- Alignment with Objectives:
The compatibility and upgrade path should remain completely smooth.
How To Test
Install system JDK (java-17-openjdk) and ru your favorite application or development. No regression should be noted.
Because of in-tree libraries, minimal image or font rendering differences canbe spotted after very detailed investigations - https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MoveFedoraJDKsToBecomePortableJDKs#Side_effects - still, no of th e https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MoveFedoraJDKsToBecomePortableJDKs#Known_issues should be hit by this proposal.
No dependent packages should notice the change.
- Contingency mechanism: Revert the patches and rework https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MoveFedoraJDKsToBecomePortableJDKs
- Contingency deadline: before f37 Beta freeze
- Blocks release? Unless the java-stack will become completely borked then no.