Update of MariaDB ('mariadb' package) in Fedora from 10.3 to 10.4 version.
- Name: Michal Schorm
- Email: email@example.com
- Release notes owner:
- Targeted release: Fedora 32
- Last updated: 2019-09-27
- Tracker bug: #1756468
- Release Notes tracking: #391
- Release Engineering ticket: https://pagure.io/releng/issue/8783
Update of MariaDB package in Fedora from 10.3 version to 10.4 version.
Benefit to Fedora
I'm cooperating with the upstream to bring the latest stable software to Fedora users.
10.4 series introduces number of enhancements, which cannot be found in previous series. Apart from that, MariaDB Galera Cluster has been significantly reworked and enhanced. (galera 3 updated to galera 4)
- Proposal owners:
- Prepare MariaDB 10.4 as a module for Rawhide and atleast one stable Fedora release (done)
- Prepare MariaDB 10.3 as a module for Rawhide, so there would be a failover in case of problems (done)
- Release MariaDB 10.4 to Rawhide (blocked by #1724283; solving with upstream)
- Check software that requires or depends on 'mariadb' or 'galera' package for incompatibilities
- Gather user input on the changes between MariaDB 10.3 and 10.4
- Other developers: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Release engineering: (a check of an impact with Release Engineering is needed)
- List of deliverables: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Policies and guidelines: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
The MariaDB client library is compatible, so the shouldn't be any issues and / or need for rebuild of dependent packages. Galera package bumped version from 25.3 to 25.4 which introduces bigger changes. However since no other project in Fedora than MariaDB use Galera, I don't expect any issue here.
How To Test
Usual testing as when upgrading between major MariaDB versions.
Test that all other software runs well with MariaDB 10.4. Report any issues, so I can reach the different upstreams and check if they plan update their software to support MariaDB 10.4 and when.
The users will have to upgrade their databases the same way as between major MariaDB versions.
If the users want to stick with MariaDB for a little longer, I provide MariaDB 10.3 module. If the users want to test it beforehand, I provide MariaDB 10.4 module.
There should be absolute minimum amountof packages, that use MariaDB as a BuildRequires. Since the separation of MariaDB client library, only packages that build server plugins may use MariaDB as a BuildRequires.
Since the client library ('mariadb-connector-c') is not changing, dependent software should work fine.
Modules will provide the functional version of MariaDB 10.3, available to all users.
- Contingency mechanism: Fedora Modules available
- Contingency deadline: beta freeze
- Blocks release? N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Blocks product? N/A (not a System Wide Change)
Upgrading and incompatibilities: https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/upgrading-from-mariadb-103-to-mariadb-104/#incompatible-changes-between-103-and-104
Release notes for each release: https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/release-notes-mariadb-104-series/
Overall overview of the changes and improvements: https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/changes-improvements-in-mariadb-104/