Update RPM to the 4.18 release.
- Name: Panu Matilainen
- Email: email@example.com
- Targeted release: Fedora Linux 37
- Last updated: 2022-04-26
- devel thread
- FESCo issue: #2781
- Tracker bug: #2079029
- Release notes tracker: #823
RPM 4.18 contains various improvements over previous versions, but in particular this release addresses a whole class of symlink handling related security issues, some with CVE's, from 2021. Other notable improvements include
- A more intuitive conditional builds macro
- A more robust and secure
- Weak dependencies accept qualifiers like
- New interactive shell for working with macros (
rpmspec --shell) and embedded Lua (
%confspec section for build configuration
rpmuncompresscli tool simplifies unpacking multiple sources
- Numerous macro improvements and fixes
- Numerous OpenPGP parser correctness and security fixes
Benefit to Fedora
The main benefits of this release are increased security and packaging experience improvements, see above for details.
- Proposal owners:
- Rebase RPM
- Assist with dealing with incompatibilities
- Other developers:
- Test new release, report issues and bugs
- Release engineering: #10742
- Policies and guidelines: N/A (not needed for this Change). Utilizing new rpm features is subject to packaging guidelines but othe
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
- Alignment with Objectives: N/A (no relation to current objectives)
There are no noteworthy compatibility issues with this release.
How To Test
Rpm receives a thorough and constant testing via every single package build, system installs and updates. New features can be tested specifically as per their documentation.
There are no major differences in the normal user experience.
- No new dependencies are introduced in this release
- Other changes are known to be affected
- Library soname will not change so no rebuilds are required
- Contingency mechanism: Revert back to RPM 4.17
- Contingency deadline: Beta freeze
- Blocks release? No
Work-in-progress release notes at https://rpm.org/wiki/Releases/4.18.0 and reference manual at https://github.com/rpm-software-management/rpm/blob/master/doc/manual/index.md