Server Drop i686
Drop i686 install media for Fedora Server Edition
Stop shipping i686 media for Fedora Server.
- Name: Stephen Gallagher, Server SIG
- Email: email@example.com
- Release notes owner:
- Product: Fedora Server Edition
- Responsible WG: Fedora Server WG
The Fedora Server SIG has determined that we no longer feel that i686 install media is critical to our success. Since delivering and maintaining each install medium requires significant effort, the Server SIG has decided to stop shipping i686 media. This includes both the Server Install DVD and the Server Network Install ISO.
Benefit to Fedora
This will reduce the maintenance burden on Fedora QA, reduce the compose time for rel-eng and reduce user confusion as to which version of Fedora Server to install.
- Proposal owners: Coordination with other groups
- Other developers: Websites will need to be updated to remove references to i686 for Server Edition.
- Release engineering: Update compose process to remove i686 Fedora Server builds.
- Policies and guidelines: N/A
- Trademark approval: N/A
Users with existing systems should see no differences. Fedora repositories for i686 will still exist and users can continue to upgrade their existing i686 systems until i686 is retired from Fedora entirely. No new i686 systems will be installable from this point on.
How To Test
- The published compose trees need to be inspected to ensure that they contain no i686 ISO or install trees.
- The getfedora website needs to be inspected to ensure that it does not list non-existent i686 media.
The user experience of the getfedora website will change. No i686 media will be listed on it for Fedora Server.
- Contingency mechanism: Continue shipping i686 media
- Contingency deadline: Alpha
- Blocks release? Yes
- Blocks product? Server Edition
Fedora Server no longer ships installation media for 32-bit Intel/AMD platform systems.