ibus-anthy for default Japanese IME
The current default Japanese IME(input method engine) is ibus-kkc and the default is going to change to ibus-anthy to develop Japanese IME more effectively.
- Name: Takao Fujiwara
- Email: fujiwara [at] redhat [dot] com
- Targeted release: Fedora 34
- Last updated: 2020-12-17
- FESCo issue: #2514
- Tracker bug: #1908887
- Release notes tracker: #617
The current Fedora default IME for Japanese ibus-kkc is no longer actively maintained, which has also held back some ibus development plans for gsettings, so we are going to switch the default IME back to ibus-anthy now. Originally the default was changed in Fedora 19 from ibus-anthy to ibus-kkc because the upstream anthy was no longer updated. Recently I got the agreement with the original developer of anthy and forked it to anthy-unicode and started to maintain ibus-anthy more actively again.
We also considered ibus-mozc as a potential IME, but the configuration GUI is based on Qt and it also has a different feel to other IMEs.
Benefit to Fedora
Users will see continued improvements to the Japanese IME and it will get updated to take advantage of new ibus features and allow ibus development to proceed smoothly.
- Proposal owners:
- update default IME in comps @input-methods
- update kasumi to build kasumi-unicode
- change ibus-anthy to use kasumi-unicode
- update langpacks-ja to use ibus-anthy
- Other developers: gnome-desktop3 for default ja_JP
- Release engineering: #9884
- Policies and guidelines: N/A
- Trademark approval: N/A
- Alignment with Objectives:
The default installed package will be changed from ibus-kkc to ibus-anthy.
How To Test
Install Fedora with Japanese and the default IME is ibus-anthy.
- The Japanese detabase and some keybindings will be changed
- The setting UI is a little different
- The package size and depended packages are different
- The memory usage is a little different
anthy-unicode and kasumi
- comps has to be updated
- gnome-desktop3 has to be updated
Revert changes back to ibus-kkc
- Contingency mechanism: Revert comps and gnome-desktop3
- Contingency deadline: Beta release
- Blocks release? No
- Blocks product? None
Upstream wiki: https://github.com/fujiwarat/ibus-anthy/wiki