Update the PHP stack in Fedora to latest version 7.4.x
- Targeted release: Fedora 32
- Last updated: 2019-11-27
- Tracker bug: #1756470
- Release notes tracker: #392
- Oct 3th PHP 7.4.0RC3 was release
- Oct 7th PHP 7.4.0RC3 built in rawhide with extension mass rebuild
- Oct 18th PHP 7.4.0RC4 built in rawhide
- Nov 27th PHP 7.4.0 built in rawhide
Update the PHP stack in Fedora to latest version 7.4.x.
- First RC was released on Sept 5th
- PHP 7.4.0 is planed for end of year, which seems compatible with Fedora roadmap.
Dropped unmaintained extensions (available on PECL if needed):
- ffi (foreign function interface)
Compatibility for PHP code is very good, with the usual set of deprecations.
Benefit to Fedora
Provides the latest PHP version to developers and system administrators.
- Proposal owners: Check Koschei status. Test with latest version to ensure compatibility. Work with upstream on bug fixing. Needed mass rebuild (C extensions) done by change owner.
- Other developers: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Release engineering:
- List of deliverables: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Policies and guidelines: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
N/A (not a System Wide Change)
How To Test
- The PHP stack (extensions and libraries) are monitored by Koschei, see the Koschei PHP group
- install and play with your web applications
Developers and system administrators will have the great benefit or running the latest PHP version.
All php-* packages (and some *-php)
- Contingency mechanism: Drop not compatible packages.
- Contingency deadline: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Blocks release? N/A (not a System Wide Change), Yes/No
- Blocks product? product