Update the PHP stack in Fedora to latest version 8.0.x
- Targeted release: Fedora 35
- Last updated: 2021-03-05
- FESCo issue: #2550
- Tracker bug: #1920537
- Release notes tracker: #642
- Nov 26th 2020 PHP 8.0.0 was released
- Jan 7th 2021 PHP 8.0.1 was released
- Feb 5th 2021 PHP 8.0.2 was released
- Mar 5th 2021 PHP 8.0.3 was released
- Mar 5th 2021 PHP 8.0.3 was built in rawhde, see update
Update the PHP stack in Fedora to latest version 8.0.x.
- Despiste PHP 8.0 schedule was compatible with Fedora 34 one, we choose to skip 1 cycle to give more time for projects to adapt to this new major version
- At Fedora 35 time, PHP 7.3 will be EOL, 7.4 on security mode so 8.0 the only version with active support, see PHP supported version
- 8.1 is planed for end of year and will be a Fedora 36 feature
Dropped unmaintained extensions (available on PECL if needed):
- php-pecl-apcu-bc not supported, php-pecl-apcu should be enough
- php-pecl-timecop dead project
- php-pecl-xdebug use php-pecl-xdebug3
- php-pecl-propro not supported and no more used (by pq and HTTP extension)
Benefit to Fedora
Provides the latest PHP version to developers and system administrators.
- Proposal owners: Check Koschei status. Test with latest version to ensure compatibility. Work with upstream on bug fixing. Needed mass rebuild (C extensions) done by change owner.
- Other developers: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Release engineering:
- List of deliverables: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Policies and guidelines: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
N/A (not a System Wide Change)
How To Test
- The PHP stack (extensions and libraries) are monitored by Koschei, see the Koschei PHP group
- install and play with your web applications
Developers and system administrators will have the great benefit or running the latest PHP version.
All php-* packages (and some *-php)
- Contingency mechanism: Drop not compatible packages.
- Contingency deadline: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Blocks release? N/A (not a System Wide Change), Yes/No
- Blocks product? product
- Migrating from PHP 7.4.x to PHP 8.0.x
- PHP 8 released (new features announcement)