Update the PHP stack in Fedora to the latest version 8.3.x
- Targeted release: [Fedora Linux 40 ]
- Last updated: 2023-09-27
- Discussion Thread
- FESCo issue: #3073
- Tracker bug:
- Release notes tracker:
- A testing SCL and a testing module are available in my repository
- List of extensions compatibility list
- Upstream schedule for 8.3
First RC is planed for August 31th, GA is planed for November 23th.
Update the PHP stack in Fedora to latest version 8.3.x.
Fedora has a 6 months cycle, PHP a 1 year cycle, our common practice for some years:
- 2 Fedora cycles for each PHP minor release (exceptions below)
- 3 Fedora cycles for latest minor (e.g. 5.6 or 7.4) to give more time before next major
- 1 Fedora cycle for first major (e.g. 7.0 or 8.0)
Fedora 37 has PHP 8.1, Fedora 38 and 39 have PHP 8.2.
Benefit to Fedora
Provides the latest PHP version to developers and system administrators.
- Proposal owners: Check Koschei status. Test with latest version to ensure compatibility. Work with upstream on bug fixing. Needed mass rebuild (C extensions) done by change owner.
- Other developers: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Release engineering:#Releng issue number
- List of deliverables: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Policies and guidelines: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
N/A (not a System Wide Change)
How To Test
- The PHP stack (extensions and libraries) are monitored by Koschei, see the Koschei PHP group
- install and play with your web applications
Developers and system administrators will have the great benefit or running the latest PHP version.
All php-* packages (and some *-php)
- Contingency mechanism: Drop not compatible packages.
- Contingency deadline: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Blocks release? N/A (not a System Wide Change), Yes/No
- Blocks product? product