Sericea and Sway Spin Xorg-less
At the moment Sericea and Sway Spin ship with xorg-x11 packages. This proposal aims to remove xorg-x11 packages from such artifacts.
- Name: Aleksei Bavshin, Fabio Alessandro Locati, Sway SIG
- Primary contact person: Fabio Alessandro Locati
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Targeted release: Fedora Linux 39
- Last updated: 2023-09-28
- devel thread
- FESCo issue: #3028
- Tracker bug: #2233238
- Release notes tracker: #1017
At the moment Sericea and Sway Spin require the installation of xorg-x11 due to the use of
When we started working on F38 we were not fully convinced on the stability of SDDM-Wayland, so we opted for the safer bet: SDDM-X11. Though, since Sway is Wayland-only, it would make sense for Sericea and Sway Spin to prefer the use of
So far only positive feedback have been provided on this idea.
Benefit to Fedora
This change will allow Sericea and Sway Spin artifacts to ship without xorg-x11.
- Proposal owners: change the default in comps
- Other developers: N/A
- Release engineering: N/A
- Policies and guidelines: N/A (not needed for this Change)
- Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
- Alignment with Community Initiatives: N/A
When the users will update their Fedora installation, the change will occur in their boxes automatically. No direct impact nor configuration change is required.
How To Test
- Reboot and test the login
sddm-wayland-sway should have a slightly positive experience for users, with less bugs in some edge cases than
sddm-x11. Majority of users should not be able to notice the difference.
If unexpected issues will be created by this change, we can easily rollback to
sddm-x11 by changing back the comps packages.
- Contingency mechanism: (What to do? Who will do it?) N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Contingency deadline: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
- Blocks release? N/A (not a System Wide Change), Yes/No
N/A (not a System Wide Change)