POSSIBLE NEW TOPICS (Writers: Please add your suggestions)
Proposed Topics - Installation
- Install a package like xmms using Pirut. (Perhaps xmms with fluendo?) - done with Banshee
- Install Yumex via Pirut, and then install (perhaps a game) via yumex.
- Use rpm from the CLI to view a list installed packages (no root password required).
- Use rpm to install a locally available package (root password required).
- Use yum to install a package from an internet repository.
- Use yum to provide various reports.
- Use yum to do a group-level installation, such as a complete KDE desktop installation -done with MySQL database group as example
- Advanced topic: Using smart.
- Advanced topic: Using apt-get.
- Advanced topic: Using yum-extender.
- Advanced topic: Using yum at installation time via the new anaconda feature.
- Make sure that all references to Fedora Core and Fedora Extras are replaced with appropriate details.
- Cover all the yum plugins and related utilities available in the repository
- Include details on Pirut, Pup and Puplet - done
Proposed Topics - Updating
Likewise, we should cover the topic of updating packages in a similar progression from the simple to the advanced.
- Update packages using Pirut -can packages be updated with Pirut? Pup isn't covered yet, waiting for updates to come through on F7!
- Update using Yumex.
- Update using yum from the CLI -done
- Selectively update using yum (including/excluding packages and disabling/enabling repositories).
- Advanced topic: Do a complete Fedora release upgrade (I actually did this successfully on a laptop with a bad CD drive and broadband internet access. - John)
- Give more background information and provide concepts and details as required.
- Demonstrate different methods of installing packages, going from the simplest to the most complex.
Status of Wikification Process by Chapter
|Index||Ignore for Now|
Status of New Material
|Yum Plugins||In Progress|
These are the standard types of admonition:
- This is the Note icon
- This is the Tip icon
- This is the Caution icon
- This is the Important icon
- This is the Warning icon