Banshee as default mediaplayer
Using Banshee as our default mediaplayer and cd importing application
- Name: David Nielsen
- email: dnielsen at fedoraproject dot org
- Targeted release: Rejected by FESco
- Last updated: 2009-03-06
- Percentage of completion: 100%
Providing our users with a better default media player experience along with new desirable features, a more visually pleasing interface and set of effects as well as an actively developed codebase with a large active community attached to it.
Benefit to Fedora
- Automatically migrates existing Rhythmbox databases meaning the user can keep his ratings, podcasts, songs, etc.
- Nice visual effects such as sliding animations, pulsing buttons. All of which provide a slicker interface.
- Provides true synchronization for portable players along with a wide range of supported pieces of hardware
- Active development, along with a feature roadmap and good bughandling
- History of stability
- Integrates cd importing and the mediaplayer
- Provides video library functionality
- Several interesting plugins already available as well as many in development
- Advanced library functions
- No Jamedo or Magnatune integration
- No UPNP/DLNA support
- Adds size to the CD image
All required packages are in Fedora and are actively maintained, upstream is active and has a good track record for handling bugs. The only action on the part of Fedora is changing the default to Banshee.
How To Test
- Need testing import of existing Rhythmbox database to ensure migration
- For upgrades no change should be visible, rhythmbox and sound-juicer will be retained
- For new installs we will provide Banshee and all the nice functionality
None, though it obsoletes the draft Features/RhythmboxDefaultRipper
- None necessary, revert to previous release behaviour.
- All relevant documentation along with screenshots can be found on the project website: http://banshee-project.org/
- Fedora now ships with the Banshee mediaplayer, which we hope you will find provides you with a superior media experience. More information is available on http://banshee-project.org/.
Comments and Discussion
- While this proposal should be judged on it's technical merits primarily it is suggested that upstream Rhythmbox might be facing issues continuing development (http://mail.gnome.org/archives/rhythmbox-devel/2009-February/msg00023.html).
- This was rejected by FESco, as the requirements for inclusion involve making Banshee not written in Mono and convincing the Rhythmbox maintainer to replace his work, there is no point in continuing. I will though leave the proposal up here for anyone else to look at. See: http://bpepple.fedorapeople.org/fesco/FESCo-2009-03-06.html