Better Defaults for Live Installs
Remove enterprise-oriented services from default live installations to save space and reduce boot time.
- Name: Elad Alfassa
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Targeted release: Fedora 19
- Last updated: (DATE)
- Percentage of completion: 00%
This features aims to remove (or disable) enterprise-oriented services from Fedora's default Live Desktop media. This includes MTA (some previous work on this subject was done in Features/NoMTA), iSCSI and multipathd. All these technologies might be useful for servers or for enterprise users, but they are not the target audience of the Live Desktop media.
Enterprise users or server users do not use Live media for installation, they are more likely to use the DVD and a custom kickstart file. Therefore, these features should not be installed by default on Fedora Live desktops.
Benefit to Fedora
Live media will be a bit smaller, and installations done from live media will boot faster.
This part is still work-in-progress
The first two items would probably not cause too much of a challenge
- Have Features/NoMTA 100% complete
iscsi-initiator-utilsfrom default package set or exclude it on the live media kickstart file
The next parts might be more difficult
device-mapper-multipathfrom the LiveCD kickstrart file.
- This would require changes in anaconda so that foce-utils (which in turn depends on device-mapper-multipath) would be just an optional dependency (this will result the Live installer to not be able to install on multipath targets, but these are not used outside large enterprises).
- This would also require libvirt server stuff removed from the livecd (which makes sense, IMO) or make their dependency on foce-utils optional as well.
- Conditionally disable
mdmonitor-takeover.serviceand other related services if the relevant storage technologies (LVM and RAID) are not used on the current machine during install time.
How To Test
Users might notice faster bootup and a bit smaller Live media size.
Continue shipping these services.