Make Systemd Journal the new and only default syslog.
- Name: Jóhann B. Guðmundsson
- Email: johannbg AT gmail DOT com
- Targeted release: Fedora 18
- Last updated:
- Percentage of completion: 50%
As of systemd v38+ systemd comes with it's own syslog named Journal which is enabled by default in F17 and onwards.
Having more then one log solution enabled and running by default makes absolute no sense and doing so only wastes people hw resources.
Benefit to Fedora
Single built in binary syslog solution used.
- Disable rsyslog by default.
How To Test
Trigger a logging event and test systemd-journalctl with various command line switches.
For the novice end users this has no noticeable effect other than a simplified command line to view logs.
For advanced users such as administrators they will need to enable and start rsyslog or syslog-ng to use many of the enterprise features those syslog solution currently provide over systemd journal.
Depends on the presence of systemd v38+ being installed which is the case for Fedora 17 and onwards.
- It's recommended that documentation is updated to reflect usage of the native systemd journal command and it's configuration file
There shouldn't be anything we need to specifically say other than highlighting the change.