- 1 Contact Information
- 2 Why do you want to work with the Fedora Project?
- 3 Do you have any past involvement with the Fedora project or with any another open source project as a contributor (if possible please add some references as well)?
- 4 Did you participate with the past GSoC programs, if so which years, which organizations?
- 5 Will you continue contributing/ supporting the Fedora project after the GSoC 2012 program, if yes, which team(s)/area(s), you are interested with?
- 6 Why should we choose you over the other applicants?
- 7 Proposal Description
- 7.1 An overview of your proposal
- 7.2 The need you believe it fulfills
- 7.3 Any relevant experience you have
- 7.4 How do you intend to implement your proposal
- 7.5 Final deliverable of the proposal at the end of the period
- 7.6 A rough timeline for your progress
- 7.7 Any other details you feel we should consider
- 8 Have you communicated with a potential mentor? If so, who?
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 7709977009
- Blog URL: rohitsdamkondwar.wordpress.com
- Freenode IRC Nick: rohitsd
Why do you want to work with the Fedora Project?
I like the main intention of The Fedora Project : distibuting cutting edge technology to the people. Also few practises such as fast bug fixes, patches, early newer releases of softwares are great. Using Fedora I don't have to wait for long to get bugs fixed and work smoothly. I have been using Fedora for almost 2 years and I would love to work with the people involved in building my OS.
Do you have any past involvement with the Fedora project or with any another open source project as a contributor (if possible please add some references as well)?
1. No, this is my first time.
Did you participate with the past GSoC programs, if so which years, which organizations?
1. No, this is my first time.
Will you continue contributing/ supporting the Fedora project after the GSoC 2012 program, if yes, which team(s)/area(s), you are interested with?
1. Yes I will definitely contribute to Fedora project hence forth. I would love to work in packaging and building new softwares.
Why should we choose you over the other applicants?
I am an enthusiast who wants to contribute in Fedora Project. I have been involved in system and server administration since one year in my Engineering College. I love to code in python. I was in the process of developing standalone software like dorrie. But later I found dorrie being proposed in gsoc. This caught my interest and I am very much interested in contributing to dorrie.
An overview of your proposal
Apart from making customized Fedora, I plan to enable user download a preinstalled softwares and updates Fedora. The Users should have dorrie(web) interface to select softwares/packages, the timezone, username, password(root and other), updates, repositories (like rpmfusion), few gsettings configurations like default theme, wallpaper,etc. The interface should be simple. The dorrie may have a client software which will make bootable pendrive/cd/dvd for the user. The user may just insert pendrive , select softwares,updates,configurations,etc and the client software will make bootable pendrive/cd/dvd. The client software should be optional. The user may directly use web interface of dorrie. Multiple architectures should be supported. The user should not worry about the kick start file. Let dorrie create it for the user.
The need you believe it fulfills
This will make it ready to use Fedora. Many people specially in India do not have sufficient bandwidth and downloading limit. The preinstalled updates and softwares will cut down their software and updates downloading cost and time. The dorrie can also be used in Academic Institutes which have several labs to maintain with several computers. These computers will no more need to download softwares and updates. This is specially useful for the Institutes who do not have local/public mirror. The interface being simple will not require much efforts to produce ready to use fedora for the administrators.
Any relevant experience you have
I have good experience of python. I have been using Fedora for almost 2 years( and I love Fedora ! ).
How do you intend to implement your proposal
While I have started learning Django and with immense interest in Fedora contribution and free time in my summer vacation I can put in all the efforts to make Dorrie a full-fledged Fedora customization software. The client for Dorrie would be the challenge but with python programming is enjoyable.
Final deliverable of the proposal at the end of the period
The final project would be highly useful for the users who want to create customized Fedora especially the Academic Institutes and Spins makers.
A rough timeline for your progress
2-3 months should be sufficient for the project to get good shape. By 21 May : Understanding Dorrie source code completely By 30 June : Adding extra features to Dorrie By 30 July : Writing client for Dorrie and testing phase By 10 Aug : Writing Documentation
Any other details you feel we should consider
Well I feel the target audience for the Dorrie should not only be Spins/Remix makers but also the GNU/linux users who want a customized Fedora with ease.
Have you communicated with a potential mentor? If so, who?
Yes I have communicated with Shreyank Gupta. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Shreyankg