- 1 Semi-automated system implementation for FWN
- 1.1 Contact Information
- 1.2 Why do you want to work with the Fedora Project?
- 1.3 Do you have any past involvement with the Fedora project or with any another open source project as a contributor (if possible please add some references as well)?
- 1.4 Did you participate with the past GSoC programs, if so which years, which organizations?
- 1.5 Will you continue contributing/ supporting the Fedora project after the GSoC 2012 program, if yes, which team(s)/area(s), you are interested with?
- 1.6 Why should we choose you over the other applicants?
- 1.7 Proposal Description
- 1.7.1 An overview of your proposal
- 1.7.2 The need you believe it fulfills
- 1.7.3 Any relevant experience you have
- 1.7.4 How do you intend to implement your proposal
- 1.7.5 Final deliverable of the proposal at the end of the period
- 1.7.6 A rough timeline for your progress
- 1.7.7 Any other details you feel we should consider
- 1.8 Have you communicated with a potential mentor? If so, who?
Semi-automated system implementation for FWN
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Telephone: +91-080-25391003
- Blog URL: -
- Freenode IRC Nick: rahulg
NOTE: We require all students to blog about the progress of their project time to time.
You are strongly encouraged to register on the Freenode network and participate in our IRC channels. For more information and other instructions, see:
Please answer following questions.
Why do you want to work with the Fedora Project?
I used Ubuntu as my OS but with its' unity DE I gave up using Ubuntu and started using Fedora. Then I realized Fedora is a great Linux distro. Therefore I would like to work with the Fedora project and be it is community member.
Do you have any past involvement with the Fedora project or with any another open source project as a contributor (if possible please add some references as well)?
I have contributed to Ubuntu in localization and I m contributor for LibreOffice as well. I m new to Fedora.
Did you participate with the past GSoC programs, if so which years, which organizations?
In 2010 I worked with a Acpahe Foundations' project for GSoC. This will be my second time.
Will you continue contributing/ supporting the Fedora project after the GSoC 2012 program, if yes, which team(s)/area(s), you are interested with?
I ll contribute to FWN and localization teams. I would like to package and maintain LibreOffice for Fedora as well.
Why should we choose you over the other applicants?
I have experience with GSoC and I am good with most of the scripting languages fedora is currently using.
Please describe your proposal in detail. Include:
An overview of your proposal
In this project it is supposed to automate the FWN. Fedora Weekly News should contain the information about the Fedora Project. The main source for getting information to write FWN is the wiki and the mailing list. Therefore in this project it is possible to dig mailing lists and wiki to get the information/ news and write the FWN. It is not possible to automate 100% but I ll try to achieve a higher rate.
The need you believe it fulfills
FWN team will get the benefit of writing the FWN, that will be easier than past.
Any relevant experience you have
I have created some web applications using PHP and MySQL.
How do you intend to implement your proposal
I ll try to build following beats; Announcements, In The News, Ambassadors, Quality Assurance, Translation, Design, Security Advisories, LATAM and Planet Fedora.
The related mailing list or wiki section will be read and extract the required information from that. Headers will be extracted and organized the way the beat should be written. Past issues will be examined to get the required format. Then according to the need of the beat writer the required wiki or drupal code will be generated.
As this is not a 100% automated system the beat writer should make some changes at a window on the application. Like he should have to add or delete content which the application filter.
PHP will be used and may be I ll be using a library to extract the information. Still not sure what it is. I ll use JSON objects as well.
Final deliverable of the proposal at the end of the period
The application which can use to write FWN. I ll make it rpm packaged.
A rough timeline for your progress
April 24 - Mid : Finish writing basic extracting for all mailing lists and wiki sections.
Mid - August 20: Make the system more automated and create the interface and package it.
Any other details you feel we should consider
I would like to add AJAX support to this application so that beat writers can do their task easily.
Have you communicated with a potential mentor? If so, who?
Yes, I had some long IRC chat sessions with the mentor.