- Contact Information
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone:+1 647 878 5645
- Freenode IRC Nick: babakb
NOTE: We require all students to blog about the progress of their project. You are strongly encouraged to register on the Freenode network and participate in our IRC channels. For more nformation and other instructions, see: http://groups.google.com/group/redhat-summer/web/gsoc-getting-started
Why do you want to work with the Fedora Project?
I am very compassionate about open-source software development. I use Fedora on a daily basis and I want to have the chance to become a part of the developer community of Fedora by applying my skills and experiences.
Do you have any past involvement with the Fedora project or another open source project as a contributor?
- I have not had any involvement with the Fedora Project yet but I have contributed to two open source projects in the past.
- (Summer 2011) Review Board: Created a cross platform installer for Review Board. The changes I made can be found at my Github account. https://github.com/bbasseri/reviewboard
- (Jan 2012 - Present) Matplotlib: This is a Python library that allows graph plotting to be embedded in applications. I have been working on augmenting the existing text styling of the main configuration system. This allows users to separating styling from your actual plotting logic, rather than having to specify style with every text API call. Here is the link to the Github issue https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/issues/374
Did you participate with the past GSoC programs, if so which years, which organizations?
Yes, in 2011 with Review Board.
Will you continue contributing/ supporting the Fedora project after the GSoC 2012 program, if yes, which team(s), you are interested with?
Yes I will continue contributing to the Fedora project. I am interested in the infrastructure team, internationalization, packaging, websites, and games of the OS developer group. Also interested in the website design team and the web developer group.
Why should we choose you over other applicants?
- I am an extremely hardworking and dedicated individual. I ensure that the tasks assigned to me are completed promptly with perfection. My previous experiences working with linux based operating systems and small web projects have equipped me with some of the skills I need for the project.
- I am interested in growing a community of people interested in supporting the installation long-term.
- I have worked on many projects using Ruby on Rails and have expanded my knowledge of deployment of rails servers.
- I am skilled in setting up tools such as Red Mine, because I had to setup a couple of instances for the projects that I have worked on with teams.