What are supplemental wallpapers?
Supplemental wallpapers are the non-default wallpapers provided with Fedora. Usually Fedora ships GNOME upstream supplemental wallpapers. We try to collect a set for each release of Fedora and offer it as an option package. Wallpaper shipped with Fedora that is not the default wallpaper is called 'supplemental' wallpaper.
We do this collecting of Supplemental Wallpapers since Fedora 14. With Fedora 19 we opened the voting for all Fedora Contributors. On Flock 2013 we decided to create an special application for the process and Nuancier became that application. Nuancier was used for the voting process for the first time in Fedora 20 and by Fedora 21, the whole process was run through Nuancier.
How do I manage the supplemental wallpaper process?
The supplemental wallpaper wrangler oversees the supplemental wallpaper process, and is a duty that can rotate every release given the interest of the current maintainer.
The responsibilities of the supplemental wallpaper wrangler include:
- Create the submission as voting phase in Nuancier.
- You will find the documentation for Nuancier here
- Announcing the supplemental wallpapers process. When advertising this note that supplemental wallpapers should be photography-based. Where to advertise?:
- planet.fedoraproject.org (Instructions on adding your blog to Planet Fedora)
- Design Team Mailing List as announce list
- write a post for Fedora Magazine FedoraMagazine
- identi.ca (#fedora)
- twitter (@fedora)
- deviant art
- Open Artists
- We Prefer Linux
- FOSS Advocates
- Linux Deviants
- Linux Users
- GIMP Artists
- Share it on Fedoras Facebook ,  groups and Google+
- Add your own here.
- Please feel free to use the templates below!
- Monitor the submissions in Nuancier and moderate the submissions. Post follow-up announcements as needed to solicit more submissions
- Work with a packager to have the wallpapers packaged.
- Announce selected wallpapers on planet.fedoraproject.org
- Seeking Submissions Templates
- Seeking Final Submissions Templates
- Announce Voting Process
- Announce Winners
Supplemental Wallpaper Guidelines
All submissions or contributions:
- Must be covered by the Contributor License Agreement. We cannot accept contributions from individuals who have not signed the CLA in the Fedora Account System. The CLA allows us to properly license artwork submissions for distribution with Fedora and other Fedora projects.
- Nuancier enforces the use of this licenses, but you have to control if the submissions are really in that way licensed!
- Must not contain material that violates or infringes another's rights, including but not limited to privacy, publicity or intellectual property rights, or that constitutes copyright infringement. If your submissions include or derive from artwork created by other people, please make sure the license of the original work you incorporate is compatible with Fedora and that you are not violating any of the provisions of its license. Just because a work is licensed with a Creative Commons license does not mean it is free to use (make sure you provide attribution to artists that license their work with a CC Attribution clause.)
- Should have the consent and approval of the author or creator
- Are thereby licensed to the public for reuse under CC-BY-SA unless specifically identified as being licensed by another approved liberal open source license. See a list of approved licenses for Fedora.
- Must not contain brand names or trademarks of any kind
- Must not contain material that is inappropriate, offensive, indecent, obscene, hateful, tortuous, defamatory, slanderous or libelous
- No sexually explicit or provocative subject matter
- No images of weapons or violent imagery
- No alcohol, smoking, or drug use imagery
- Must not contain material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age
- Must not contain material that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to the laws or regulations in the jurisdiction where the work is created
- No religious, political, or nationalist imagery (including flags)
- No images of hats, particularly fedoras. (This is a matter of respect for our primary sponsor, Red Hat, Inc., and is not negotiable. Of course, passive appearance of hats, such as those upon heads in a crowd, may be allowed.)
- No version numbers. End users might prefer to continue to use an older theme, or use the latest theme in their older version of Fedora. To enable that choice, do not use any version numbers within the Fedora artwork.
- No text. Text should not be used in the backgrounds because the artwork is intended for a global audience and to be reused by derivative distributions.
- Should not contain images of people (contemporary, historical, or fictional)
- Should not contain images of pets, or captive or mistreated animals
- Must use a format that can be read by software available in Fedora Package Collection. Preferred image formats include SVG and PNG. Master files, which may be further edited, should be maintained in non-lossy formats. Preserving vector graphics, raster layers, and channels is important for such materials.
- Originals for landscape formats must be a minimum of 1600 pixels wide and 1200 pixels high. The larger the better. Photographic submissions should be made at the highest resolution the camera is capable of.
- Should be provided in a 16 x 9 aspect ratio when possible.
- No watermarks, signatures, photographer/creator names, or messages may be included in any part of the work. However if the license allows, and the photo is compelling enough, we could remove watermarks.
- Should strive for subtlety and poetry
- Avoid high frequency images (http://forensicphotoshop.blogspot.com/2009/04/low-frequency-vs-high-frequency.html)
- A soft focus is one way to achieve this
- As the name suggests, visually, it should settle into the "background" of the activity scene.
- Fewer details on left side allows for good readability for primary icons on the desktop.
- Keep in mind that many users have icons covering the entire desktop view.
- Do not compete for the user's attention
The following adjectives should be used to select an appropriate design:
- (Region/country specific content)
Supplemental Wallpaper Wrangler History
- Fedora 14: Fabian 'fabsh' Scherschel
- Fedora 16: Patrick 'pcon' Connelly
- Fedora 18: gnokii
- Fedora 19: gnokii
- Fedora 20: gnokii
- Fedora 21: gnokii
- Fedora 22: gnokii
- Fedora 24: gnokii
- Fedora 25: gnokii
- Fedora 26: gnokii
- Fedora 27: gnokii
- Fedora 28: gnokii
- Fedora 29: gnokii
- Fedora 30: gnokii
- Fedora 31: gnokii
- Fedora 32: sadin