Licensing/Ethymonics Free Music License
License text was taken from http://web.archive.org/web/20070916112416/http://www.ethymonics.co.uk/fml.html, as the original license text is no longer available.
ETHYMONICS FREE MUSIC LICENSE
Version 1, August 2000
Copyright (C) 2000, Ethymonics Limited
Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies of this license document, but changing it is not allowed. Preamble
The licenses for most musical works are designed to take away your freedom to share the music. By contrast, this Free Music License is intended to guarantee your freedom to make copies of a piece of music, and charge for this service if you wish. Recipients of those copies have the same freedom. The word "Free" in "Free Music License" means the freedom to make copies. It does not mean that those copies cannot then be sold.
This license is designed to protect and pass on the right to make copies to whoever receives a copy. This encourages wide distribution on the artist's behalf. You can apply this license to your own music too.
To protect the right to copy the music, it is necessary to pass on certain requirements that must be followed when the music is copied or distributed. For example, if you distribute a piece of music subject to this license, even if this is done for a fee, you must give the recipients all the rights that you have. You must show them these terms so that they know their rights.
The freedom to copy is protected by two things: (1) Copyright of the music, and (2) This license that provides legal permission to copy and distribute the music.
The precise terms and conditions for copying, distribution and performance follow.
FREE MUSIC LICENSE TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR COPYING, DISTRIBUTION AND PERFORMANCE
1. This License applies to any musical work or other type of work which has a notice placed by the copyright holder saying that it may be distributed under the terms of this Free Music License. The "Music", below, refers to any such music or work, whether in a recording, performance or other form of musical representation, or any derivative work under copyright law: that is to say, a work, in any medium, containing the Music or a portion of it, either unaltered, modified and or re-performed.
You may play or perform the Music publicly, for example in a broadcast, provided that you make available to listeners the title of the work and the name of the Artist. A recording made as a result of the Music being played or performed is covered by this License when its contents constitute a work based on the Music. If a listener wishes to make copies of such a recording, the terms and conditions of this License must be made available to them, along with any other information required to make and distribute copies according to the terms and conditions of this License.
2. You may copy and distribute copies of the Music as you receive it, in any medium, provided that you:
(a) conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate copyright notice;
(b) keep intact all the notices that refer to this License;
(c) supply, with each copy of the Music, all significant information about the Music, including the title of the work, the name of the artist, and the names and roles of all credited personnel;
(d) supply, to each recipient of the Music, along with the Music, either a copy of this License or a clearly visible URL that lets the recipient know where to find a copy of this License on the Internet.
If the information required by (a) to (d) above is not available, for example when the Music has been received by making a recording of a performance, then this information must be obtained independently and no copies can be made or distributed without this information being included with each copy of the Music.
You may, at your option, charge a fee for the act of supplying a copy of the Music.
3. You may not copy, distribute, perform or sub-license the Music except as expressly provided under this License. Any attempt to otherwise do so is void, and will automatically terminate your rights under this License. However, parties who have received copies, or rights, from you under this License will not have their Licenses terminated as long as such parties remain in full compliance.
4. You are not required to accept this License, since you have not signed it. However, nothing else grants you permission to copy, distribute, play or perform the Music or any of its derivative works. Therefore, by copying, distributing, playing or performing the Music, or any of its derivative works, you indicate your acceptance of this License to do so, and all of its terms and conditions.
5. Each time you redistribute the Music the recipient automatically receives a license from the original licensor to copy, distribute, play and or perform the Music subject to the terms and conditions of this License. You may not impose any further restrictions on the recipient's exercise of the rights granted herein. You are not responsible for enforcing compliance by third parties to this License.
6. If, as a consequence of a court judgment or allegation of copyright infringement or for any reason (not limited to copyright issues), conditions are imposed on you (whether by court order, agreement or otherwise) that contradict the conditions of this License, they do not excuse you from the conditions of this License. If you cannot satisfy simultaneously your obligations under this License and any other pertinent obligations, then your rights under this License are terminated. For example, if an existing agreement would not permit royalty-free redistribution of the Music by all those who receive copies directly or indirectly through you, then the only way to satisfy both it and this License would be to refrain entirely from redistributing the Music.
If any portion of this section is held invalid or unenforceable under any particular circumstance, the balance of the section is intended to apply and the section as a whole is intended to apply in other circumstances.
It is not the purpose of this section to induce you to infringe any copyright or other property right claims or to contest validity of any such claims; this section has the sole purpose of protecting the integrity of a music distribution system, which is implemented by copyright and license practices.
7. If an activity permitted by this License is restricted in certain countries either for copyright or other reasons, the original copyright holder who places the Music under this License may add an explicit geographical distribution limitation excluding those countries, so that distribution is permitted only in or among countries not thus excluded. In such cases, this License incorporates the limitation as if written in the body of this License.
8. Ethymonics may publish revised and or new versions of the Free Music License from time to time. Such new versions will be similar in spirit to the present version, but may differ in detail to address new problems as they arise.
Each License is given a distinguishing version number. If the Music specifies a version number of this License which applies to it, and "any later version", you have the option of following the terms and conditions either of that version or any later version published by Ethymonics. If the Music does not specify a version number of this License, you may choose any version ever published by Ethymonics.
9. If you wish to incorporate parts of the Music into another work whose distribution conditions are different, write to the composer to ask for permission. END OF FREE MUSIC LICENSE