With the merger of Maemo and Moblin users and developers of the Maemo community switched from the deb packaging format to the RPM packaging format. Fedora as a leader in packaging standards regarding the RPM Package Manager wants to support the MeeGo community with our knowledge about packaging.
This FAD is completely aimed at remote attendees. Most likely IRC will be the only medium involved, maybe peppered with some Gobby. The MeeGo packaging FAD is supposed to get developers, who are new to the RPM package format, started with their first packages. During the FAD there will be Packaging Classroom sessions (ideally more than one so we can accommodate people from different timezones) as well as open-floor Q&A sessions.
More information from the MeeGo side can be found in the MeeGo Wiki at Packaging School.
Date: Mid June 2010 (whenever the MeeGo OBS is up)
- Developers who want to package their applications for the MeeGo platform
- Developers who already are packaging applications for the MeeGo platform
- Developers who have packaged applications for the Maemo platform and want to do the switch from deb to rpm
Basically this FAD is aimed at the more advanced users.
|Felix Kaechele||heffer||Fedora||Packager / Event owner|
|Mel Chua||mchua||Fedora||Documenter (will turn logs into a step-by-step tutorial afterwards.)|
|David Greaves||lbt||MeeGo||Build systems|
Split into sysadmin (usage) and packaging (creation)
- Installing packages using rpm, yum, zypper
- Arch/no-arch packages
- Handling installed files, config files
- pre/post install
With particular attention to policy and best practice:
- spec files
- build dependencies (packages, files)
- packaging a simple application
- packaging libraries
- Baseline virtualbox Meego image (best common denominator?)
- Identify some packages to install
- Illustrate rpm -q etc
- Upgrade a package - config file handling
- Remove a package
Try to relate to apt/dpkg/deb