Fedora Project Board Meeting :: Tuesday 2008-02-06
Attendees: Seth Vidal, Paul Frields, Max Spevack, Karsten Wade, John Poelstra, Chris Aillon, Matt Domsch, Steve Dickson, Bill Nottingham
Regrets: Jef Spaleta, Bob McWirther, Dennis Gilmore
Followup to Previous Business
Approving XFCE spin (2008-01-29)
- ACTION: Board approves the XFCE spin and Seth will get back to Rahul directly if he finds any problems
- OWNER: Seth Vidal
More Discussion of Board Goals
- Board goals (Paul Frields)
- helping Project achieve broad vision; what else?
- my biggest ticket item in broad terms for foreseeable future:
1. better volunteer management--seriously lowering barriers 1. increasing stickiness 1. training 1. etc.
- Q.v. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PaulWFrields/BridgingTheGap/Abstract
- How can we grow a bigger contributor (versus casual user) base
- Could our user base level contributor growth be tapped out?
- How could Fedora reach out more to commercial (corporate) users?
- What about a user space application that launches to help users get started?
- OWNER: Paul Frields
Fedora Account System
- Continues to be a major barrier to entry
- Recent addition of Red Hat marketing people to Fedora was a painful example of how difficult sign-up process is for non-technical people
- If next year we plan to focus on community growth this will be a large problem
- Need to be able to measure growth in community quantitatively
- account system gives us ability to measure some level of participation
- FAS2 (Fedora Account System v2) is scheduled to be done before the start of Beta
- OWNER: Paul Frields
1. Invite Mike McGrath to visit next board meeting and give an update 1. Can we separate out who needs gpg keys and ssh keys? 1. Are we using the CLA for restricting things where it is not necessary? 1. Evaluate usability for meeting goals of easier sign-up
Community Architecture Update
- Max Spevack, Jack Aboutboul, Greg Dekoenigsberg are a newly formed team inside Red Hat
- Selling Fedora and community vision to Red Hat Marketing VP
- Committing to monthly report to fedora-advisory-board
- Fiscal Year 2009 Budget appears to be on track
- Meeting with new Red Hat CEO to present plans
- Hiring a group of interns during the summer to work on Fedora
- measurable metrics for each intern tied to a specific goal in annual plan
- Recalibrating list membership to only include Fedora Project Leader, current board members, and board secretary
- Make sure conversations involving others happen on fedora-advisory-board-list
- OWNERS: Max Spevack & Paul Frields
- Remove ineligible members
- Set list owner to Paul Frields
Future Business (discuss at a future meeting)
Google Start Page Update
- Project changing ownership within Red Hat to Greg Dekoenigsberg
- Have Greg make presentation to Fedora Board in two weeks
- OWNER: Karsten Wade
Post-release updates of custom spins (2008-01-29)
- Should the board have to approve them?
- We will hosts as many spins as we have space for
- Need to determine the hosting requirements and limits
- How long will spins stay around?
- ACTION: Jef to review Rahul's proposal and report back to board
- OWNER: Jef Spaleta
- 2 PM EST
- Tuesday, 2008-02-12