Meeting:Board meeting 2008-09-30
Fedora Project Board Meeting :: Tuesday 2008-09-30
Attendees: John Poelstra, Jesse Keating, Karsten Wade, Bill Nottingham, Matt Domsch, Chris Tyler, Seth Vidal, Paul Frields, Spot Callaway, Jef Spaleta
Regrets: Harald Hoyer
Followup to Previous Business
- Seth Vidal is going to meet with Richard Hughes to make sure a EULA associated with a specific package or codec works correctly with PackageKit and associated packages
- UPDATE 2008-09-23
- Fedora will only handle packages with EULAs through
- Fedora does not foresee ever having packages in the official Fedora repos that contain EULAs
- Remaining questions for follow-up:
- What is the regular work flow for codecs in F10 when someone goes to play a media file with a gstreamer enabled player?
- What will be the default behavior for a default installation?
- Can we confirm that we are no longer prompting for any specific vendor?
- Spot to track down answers to the remaining questions
- UPDATE 2008-09-30 from Spot
- In a default, fresh F10 install, if you go to play an mp3 file with a gstreamer enabled player, it will pop-up a helper
- On a default F10 system there will be nothing in the pop-up
- If you have an applicable third party yum repository configured, it will find the packages that provide the missing codecs and install them.
- Codeina will NOT be installed by default and should be removed from the Fedora 10 repository and obsoleted and blocked.
- There are no hooks to any third party vendors at this time.
- Spot will talk with PackageKit upstream about finding a way to included Fedora specific information which links to a Fedora wiki page on Fedora's stance on third party codecs
- Spot will work with package maintainer(s) to resolve the items noted above related to codeina
Trademark Update (2008-09-16)
- Board wants to maintain a good hold on how the primary Fedora trademark is used while provides lots of latitude for secondary mark
- Process of legal review continues and appears to be moving forward favorably
- trademark guidelines draft has recently been updated and can be found here: User:Pfrields/NewTrademarkGuidelines
- UPDATE 2008-09-23
- Paul Frields has a meeting with with Red Hat legal this week
- UPDATE 2008-09-30
- Met with Legal this week
- Looking for a way to include language that accommodates appliance operating systems (AOS) and qualified ISV applications
- Very close to having a finalized policy--review if you haven't done so lately
- Working with community to come up with a term related to the secondary trademark
- Leaning towards using the term Fedora Remix
- The secondary trademark will be a text based trademark
- Requested Fedora artwork team help with stylizing the text
- Working to clarify licensing of the image containing the wordmark design
- fedora-advisory-board thread about multiple elections at the same time
- The board thinks that having concurrent Fedora elections is a great idea and supports it
- Have a "Fedora General Election" of sorts
- Could the marketing group help raise visibility within Fedora?
- Need a clear call to action
- Is there a way to collect questions and responses from the community and candidates?
- Jef to take discussion to fedora-marketing-list brainstorming about what could happen around vetting issues, debates, etc.
- Date: 2008-10-07
- Time: 18:00 UTC
- Location: irc.freenode.net
- Public channel to ask questions: #fedora-board-public
- Moderated channel for board answers: #fedora-board-meeting
- Board to only join moderated channel so as to focus discussion there