O'Reilly OSCON 2008
- "OSCON is the crossroads of all things open source, bringing together the best, brightest, and most interesting people to explore what's new, and to champion the cause of open principles and open source adoption across the computing industry."
Fedora's purposes for attending this show, in order of importance:
- Meet people from other prominent projects and look for collaborative opportunities
- Drive out to meet with Oregon State University on Tuesday, July 22nd
- Represent the Fedora Project to newcomers at the booth
- Location: Oregon Convention Center - Portland, OR
- Flight: PDX is your airport
- Hotel: Any hotel near the convention center is fine, everything is walking distance. Alternatively, you can stay by the Rose Garden (Sports Arena) which is near by, also walking distance. Hotels there tend to be cheaper.
- Light Rail: You don't need a car to get from the airport to the convention center (and most likely the surrounding hotels). Check out the schedule for the MAX here: http://www.trimet.org/ It is super cheap at $2.05 or less.
- July 21-25, 2008
- Expo floor is open Wed July 23 from 10:00AM PDT to 16:30PM PDT, and Thu July 24 from 10:00AM PDT to 17:00PM PDT.
- Setup/booth duty schedule below
- Fedora Booth in .Org Pavilion on Floor
- Fedora BoF (schedule unknown yet)
- 20 Fedora tshirts (L)
- 20 Fedora tshirts (XL)
- 10 Fedora tshirts (M)
- 400 Fedora 9 Live CDs
- 400 Fedora 9 DVDs
Already w/ John
- 7--2G USB keys
- Two (very heavy) boxes containing media from Max.
All leftover swag is to be given to Jack for use at LWCE SF.
Who is responsible for getting swag to/from venue?
ISVs, providers, and projects we want to chat with about getting in to Fedora
- Mindtouch Deki Wiki (they have their own yum repo, but no Fedora install instructions :( http://wiki.mindtouch.com/Official_MindTouch_Deki_Wiki_Installation_Guides )
- Automattic (are they coming?)
- Atlassian (wtf not floss?)
- FairSoftware (still trying to grok their scheme)
- Lina Software (http://www.openlina.com/faq.html answer 4 is nice.)
- Plain Black/WebGUI
- Six Apart
- Zimbra (good luck!)
(T) indicates a Traveller to the event; (L) indicates a Local.
- JackAboutboul (T)
- GregDeKoenigsberg (T)
- KarstenWade (T)
- JohnPoelstra (L)
- ClintSavage (L) -- Will not be attending...
- AnthonyGreen (L)
- MattMcKenzie (L)
- JeffSheltren (L)
- DanYoung (L)
Booth Schedule and Setup
We need volunteers to man the following schedule. If everyone takes a 2-hour session once a day, we should have more than enough booth coverage.
- Setup, Wednesday 8am: quaid; gregdek
- Wednesday 10am-noon: poelcat; jack
- Wednesday noon-2pm: gregdek; dan_young
- Wednesday 2pm-4:30pm: poelcat; mckenzie
- Thursday 10am-noon: quaid; (name2)
- Thursday noon-2pm: jack; (name2)
- Thursday 2pm-5pm: mckenzie; (name2)
- Teardown, Thursday 5pm: EVERYBODY :)
- Hand out what schwag we have on hand.
- Hand out collateral: WHY SHOULD YOU JOIN FEDORA (need to create)
- Install on USB keys for those who are interested
- who is providing machine to do installs?
- Walk new contributors through signup process.
- Is internet access available on the floor? Last year you had to pay for it
- Keep track of budget below (Jack)
- Write and design collateral (Jack)
- Come up with the detailed list of everything we need to have for setup (Jack)
- Marketing slicks
- Booth banner
- USB station
- Get details on BoF (Jack)
- Figure out final schwag requirements (Jack)
- Figure out advertising strategy (Jack)
- The expo floor itself and !BoFs, as well as OSCAMP and a few other select highlights are free, otherwise, please see links below for OSCON pricing information.