Inappropriate contents packaging guideline draft
This proposal is intended to help identifying packages with explicit contents or that have inappropriate contents for certain age or offensive to certain group of people.
- at any of the following cases a note must included :
- the note must be included to the package description
- the package and the note must be added to the Inappropriate_Packages_Advisory
- the note should be taken as phrased by the upstream (if any) unless they phrase it in an offensive or inappropriate way or when their phrasing is not with accordance with legal entities.
This would simplify:
- avoiding those in default installs or DVD medias
- creating spins for certain groups.
- useful for OLPC and schools deployment
- managing #fedora IRC channel.
Let's assume that the package fortune-mod-anti<EthnicGroup> is offensive to the addressed ethnic group and the upstream site says "this package could be offensive to <EthnicGroup>, so be warned you dirty <EthnicGroup>" then of course we should not use this offensive note in the description.
the listing could look like this
|Offensive towards groups of people|
|fortune-mod-anti<EthnicGroup>||<EthnicGroup>||this package might be offensive for <EthnicGroup>|
|obscenity to semi-nudity|
|gnaughty||depends||the upstream clearly notes that this tool is designed for adult sex content and pornography|
|openarena||17+||the upstream noted that this may not be suitable for children under 17.|
This proposal is still in its early stage, feel free to enhance it.
The whole concept and thus this proposal is flawed.
You're asking maintainers to judge the software they are packaging according to moral categories. We have a very diverse set of packagers, each with a different moral standard. The country I'm currently living in has no problem at all with nudity, even public nudity is considered normal. A tool such as hot-babe would not be considered inappropriate here.
Someone living in such a society will not match your own moral values and therefore cannot categorize it accordingly to your wishes.
As you are rolling a fedora spin which aims to be based on your moral values, I suggest that you stop trying to unload the work you should be doing on the fedora maintainers in general. It's your spin based on your values. It's your job defining the package set. There's absolutely no guarantee that the list of "inappropriate packages" will work for you.
- this is strange there is a discussion button ?
- you have not signed you comment
- this is just advisory, it may contain false +ve/-ve
Alsadi 20:00, 29 May 2009 (UTC)