QA:Testcase Boot Methods Pxeboot
This is to verify that it is possible to boot Anaconda and install the system by direct kernel+initrd boot. That can be achieved either by using PXE boot or by booting the kernel directly in a virtual machine.
- You will need
initrd.imgfiles. Those are located in the
(arch)/os/images/pxebootdirectory of the tree for the Fedora compose you wish to test.
- You will need a remote location containing Anaconda's
LiveOS/directory (containing the installer) and optionally also a package repository. Development composes are usually available at dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/ (doesn't contain package repository). If you have a local mirror, you can make it accessible over any protocol supported by inst.repo boot option.
- Option 1: Set up a PXE server.
- This is not an easy task and requires some administrator knowledge. You can read the appropriate section in the Installation guide for Fedora 20.
- The custom pxelinux config file can look like this:
DEFAULT vesamenu.c32 LABEL Fedora 26_Alpha_RC1 x86_64 KERNEL vmlinuz INITRD initrd.img APPEND inst.repo=http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/26_Alpha_RC1/Server/x86_64/os/
- Option 2: Boot kernel directly in a virtual machine.
How to test
- Boot the system via PXE, or using a virtual machine with appropriate inst.repo boot argument (it has to point to the same compose you used for retrieving
- Proceed with installation.
- The system boots (using PXE or direct kernel boot in a virtual machine) and it downloads anaconda installer from the specified remote location.
- The installer starts correctly.
- If the remote location contains a yum repository, the said repository is used for installation. This can be checked by examining the
/tmp/packaging.logfile. Example output:
09:34:37,295 DEBUG packaging: adding yum repo anaconda with baseurl http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/development/26/x86_64/os/ and mirrorlist None 09:34:37,313 DEBUG packaging: disabling repo fedora 09:34:37,313 DEBUG packaging: disabling repo updates-testing 09:34:37,314 DEBUG packaging: disabling repo updates
- The installation completes and the new system initiates boot properly