Create a LVM2 Logical Volume with Cockpit
Log into Cockpit.
Make sure you have at least two unused block devices. If you don't have enough real ones (such as USB sticks), you can make loopback devices like so:
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/disk1.img bs=1M count=100 # losetup -f /disk1.img # dd if=/dev/zero of=/disk2.img bs=1M count=100 # losetup -f /disk2.img
These devices should imediately show up in Cockpit in the "Other Devices" section.
Make sure that these devices contain only zeros. Otherwise Cockpit might assume that they are in use for something and will not allow to use them for a new Volume Group.
How to test
- Navigate to "Storage" for your machine.
- Create a Volume Group out of one of the two devices.
- Create a Plain Logical Volume that fills the volume group.
- Format and mount the logical volume.
- Add the second device as a Physical Volume.
- Resize the logical volume to need space from both physical volumes.
- Unmount the filesystem and delete the volume group.
No errors should occur.