This tests whether an existing Fedora CoreOS instance running on the stable stream can switch to the next stream.
- Have access to a (or install a new) FCOS instance running the stable stream.
How to test
- Verify that your FCOS system is running on stable:
$ sudo rpm-ostree status State: idle AutomaticUpdates: disabled Deployments: ● ostree://fedora:fedora/x86_64/coreos/stable Version: 31.20200505.3.0 (2020-05-19T13:39:46Z) Commit: 01f074cc6cd88d8d2b43f821da692f2367c101eb4377802cb35092bde0ef02f7 GPGSignature: Valid signature by 7D22D5867F2A4236474BF7B850CB390B3C3359C4
The black circle ● shows the currently booted tree (if you see multiple deployments available). The current tree should show
fedora/x86_64/coreos/stable. The version may differ from the above output.
- Follow the Update Streams documentation to switch your system to the
- A package difference should be displayed during the switch operation for you to review.
- Verify that your system is now running on the next stream:
$ sudo rpm-ostree status State: idle Deployments: ● ostree://fedora:fedora/x86_64/coreos/next Version: 32.20200517.1.0 (2020-05-19T09:23:58Z) Commit: 7c23c4735fb3c541586f0a4d3ca956ef93ef7d76f00a19bccf51460bafa7ee97 GPGSignature: Valid signature by 7D22D5867F2A4236474BF7B850CB390B3C3359C4
The current tree should show
fedora/x86_64/coreos/next. The version may differ from the above output.
- The system successfully reboots and runs on the next stream.
- The system is functional (you can connect the same way as before, your services are running as before).
- The linked documentation is clear, all steps are understandable, and nothing important is missing from it.
- Before switching to the next stream, try for example creating containers or configuring a service and verify that the changes are successfully carried over after switching.
- After switching to the next stream, attempt both a temporary and a permanent manual rollback. After each rollback, verify that your system booted with the correct filesystem tree using
sudo rpm-ostree status.