This test verifies upgrading a Fedora system from the current stable release (Fedora 37) to the branched release (Fedora 38) using PreUpgrade. Verification will confirm that
is able to detect and recover the low disk space condition below:
- Insufficient disk space on
/bootpartition for anaconda to install a new kernel
How to test
- Perform an installation of the current stable release (e.g. Fedora 37) with default partitioning (200MB for
- Install another kernel on the system. You can locate and download older kernel from the koji build system or by using a
koji. For example, the following commands will list available kernels, download a specified kernel package from koji and install it:
# yum install koji # koji list-tagged dist-f12-updates kernel # koji download-build --arch $(uname -p) kernel-22.214.171.124-67.fc12 # yum localupdate kernel* --nogpgcheck
- Install the newest available version of
preupgradefrom a command prompt or the Run Application dialog. Provide the requested password for root authorization.
- On the Choose desired release screen, enable unstable test releases.
- Choose Fedora 38 (Branched) from the list of available upgrade targets, then click Apply.
- Preupgrade will present a warning dialog noting that additional disk space in
/bootis required to complete the upgrade process. Remove older kernels by consulting the instructions at How_to_use_PreUpgrade#Troubleshooting to free more space in
/boot, then click Check again
- When the process completes, click Reboot.
- The system should reboot, perform the upgrade, and reboot into the new system automatically.
- Log in to upgraded system, open a terminal, file browser, or other system applications.
- The preupgrade utility will run to completion, without error.
- The users are prompted with a low disk-space warning.
- Removing older kernels allows the upgrade to proceed beyond the low disk-space warning.
- The system should be upgraded to new version without error.
- The opened terminal, file browser, or other system applications should display and work correctly.