- Ensure you have at least two working kernels installed, for recovery purposes.
- Check which kernel is currently running, with
How to test
- Apply the
package update you wish to test.
sudo dracut -fto re-generate the initramfs for the currently-running kernel. If you would rather test with a different kernel from the one you are currently running, you can specify a kernel version with
sudo dracut -f --kver (version).
- Reboot the system and boot the appropriate kernel: the same one you were running before, if you just ran
- Check that the system boots and functions correctly. If it does not, boot with a different kernel, downgrade the
package to the previous version, and use
dracut -f --kver (version)to re-generate the initramfs for the affected kernel, so it will boot correctly again.
- The system should boot and function correctly with the updated microcode.