From Fedora Project Wiki

Fedora Release Engineering Meeting :: Monday 2008-01-21

Meeting Summary

  • Rawhide non-blocking freeze for Alpha late tonight
  • Alpha packages will NOT be signed with the testing key

1. would add several days of additional delay to alpha release 1. there is no checking at install time to verifiy signatures so it doesn't matter anyway

  • Release Alpha on Thursday, 2008-01-31
  • f13's plan for the day

1. get a spin done with fixed dhcp6client 1. publish the rescue.isos so that other people can test with it 1. create the freeze tag and do the intial clone over to it so that the clone tonight will be quick

IRC Transcript

-!- f13 changed the topic of #fedora-meeting to: Fedora Release Engineering Meeting13:02
f13ping notting jeremy spot warren rdieter wwoods jwb poelcat lmacken13:03
* spot is here13:03
* lmacken is here13:03
jwbnot here today.  real life stuff13:03
* notting is here13:03
* wwoods here13:03
warrenwhoa, how did that happen13:03
* warren somewhat here13:03
f13... warren how did what happen?13:04
warren">somewhat< here"13:04
* warren really out of it13:05
wwoodsdid you mix us up?13:05
* poelcat here13:05
* lmacken takes the crack pipe away from warren13:05
warrenI'm currently on Cipro13:05
warrenfun stuff13:05
warrenespecially when I'm allergic to it13:05
-!- f13 changed the topic of #fedora-meeting to: Fedora Release Engineering - Fedora 9 Alpha13:06
f13we decided last week to slip a week and revisit today the topic of freezing.13:06
f13we made some good progress last week, adn then hit some speedbumps toward the end of the week.13:06
f13continuing on to today13:06
wwoodstoday's rawhide does 'ip=dhcp' correctly (yay!) but dies trying to start anaconda (aww!)13:07
f13wwoods: dcantrell/clumens just found the cause of that (
f13I've invited them to pop in and talk to us a bit about the alpha from their POV13:07
f13thanks guys.13:08
f13other than this linking issue, how do you feel about freezing today for alpha?13:08
dcantrellsuits me13:08
f13I know we fixed al ot of stuff last week, and I should be able to get some rescue images out for testing with as soon as we have a new dhcp6client build13:08
clumensyeah i'm fine with that.  i want to fix wwoods's kickstart user command bug but i wouldn't consider that an alpha blocker.13:09
f13(a working rescue image can be used with today's public rawhide tree so I can publish it out in the 'tubes for other people to use)13:09
wwoodssystem-config-rootpassword.. want that fixed for alpha as it's a one-line dang .spec change13:09
wwoodsbut yeah I think freezing today is OK13:09
f13well, freeze would be late tonight13:10
wwoodsI want to test sis video but AFAIK there's nothing horrible looming13:10
f13to match up with the content of tomorrow's rawhide.13:10
f13I hope we can get David Airlie's driver update to make kvm work again in13:10
wwoodsthat would be *super*13:11
f13but other than that, I'm pretty OK with a freeze too.  I'd like to get it done so we can shuffle some more infrastructure stuff we put on hold as to not threaten the alpha.13:11
f13Proposal:  Proceed with freeze as planned tonight, attempt alpha release next week.13:12
warrenimmediately after release goes gcc43?13:12
f13warren: something like that.13:12
notting+1 for me13:12
warrenf13, +113:12
f13spot: ?13:13
f13aight.  That passes.13:15
f13the next Alpha topic I have is on the subject of signed packages.13:15
f13In order to have signed packages for the alpha, I'd have to start signing today, and it likely wouldn't be done until late next week, and it would likely overflow us on our current storage.13:16
f13our new storage is online, but we're not switched over yet13:16
f13do you think folks would come after us with pitchforks and torches should we release alpha without all the packages signed?13:16
nottingwouldn't be done until late next week when started today?13:17
wwoodsf13: only if it throws an error that hampers installation/updates13:17
wwoodsbut since we don't check the signatures in rawhide anyway..13:17
f13wwoods: yeah, clients wouldn't be set to balk on unsigned packages.13:18
clumensspeaking of which, i want to fix that...13:18
f13notting: late this week, guessing at current nfs performance13:18
nottingf13: that's bad13:18
poelcatshould they be signed if this is an "official, though not GA, release" ?13:18
f13notting: yes, I know.  WHich is why I'm very eager to get A) onto the new storage, and B) releng1 over to RHEL513:19
f13poelcat: typically we sign them with the test key, but we don't do any checking that they're signed anywhere13:19
f13poelcat: anaconda doesn't, nor does our yum configs for rawhide13:19
f13poelcat: and all it would really do is baloon our space and potentially delay our release.13:19
poelcatfair enough13:19
wwoodsnice. trying to install Windows XP on one of my test machines.. no graphics13:21
wwoodsinstaller appears to be hung13:21
f13Proposal:  Skip gpg signing for Alpha release.  Make lots of noise as to why it's skipped to avoid confusion.13:23
f13aight, that passes as well.13:25
f13My plan for the rest of today is to get a spin done with fixed dhcp6client and publish the rescue.isos so that other people can test with it, and create the freeze tag and do the intial clone over to it so that the clone tonight will be quick.13:26
-!- f13 changed the topic of #fedora-meeting to: Fedora Release Engineering - Open Discussion13:27
f13is there any open topics to discuss?13:27
lmackenwhen should I start spinning the livecds ?13:27
nottingto test? probably after f13 has tested his rescue isos13:28
nottingactually, how are we handling pre-release live testing?13:28
f13notting: rescue.iso + mash output?13:29
nottingf13: no, live image testing13:29
f13those of us behind the iron curtain can get to my bits13:29
f13oh Live images.13:29
f13I thought there was a grid for that?13:30
f13wwoods: ?13:30
wwoodsit's on the test matrix13:30
wwoodsnothing specific though13:31
wwoodsthe more detailed test plan might have some specifics13:31
f13what of jlaska's stuff are we going to use for alpha?13:31
nottingright, i'm just curious if we have a specific plan for how often we spin live images, where do we put them to get testing pickup, etc.13:32
wwoodsthat's the new test plan13:32
wwoodsbut there's nothing Live-specific13:33
f13notting: we should put something in the Torrent today or tomorrow13:33
f13and ask for feedback13:33
wwoodsoh, the getting-people-bits part of the plan13:33
nottingwwoods: ia64 is on that page?13:33
nottingand s390x?13:33
wwoodsmy brain says lmacken is going to be the media spinner but I dunno why13:33
wwoodsbody thetans, probably13:33
wwoodsnotting: arooo? yeah I dunno why that's there13:34
wwoodsprobably just held over from RHEL test plans13:34
f13aight, is there anything else to discuss?13:36
nottingf13: how goes the-signing-server-whose-name-i-forget? do we have an intended landing date?13:37
f13notting: I've been fighting other fires and not been able to poke at it.  I'd still like to land it this release cycle.13:37
lmackenafaik, it needs some more logic in the client.  I also want to sit down with nail and make sure we're not doing anything stupid (which we are)13:37
poelcatf13: you'll send mail about the rescue.iso and how to use it?13:37
f13poelcat: yes13:38
nottingf13: and, we're doing split CDs for alpha, or is that waiting for beta?13:38
f13notting: Planning on doing them for alpha13:38
f13notting: I think I fixed one booboo which lead to always needing CD 6, and now we're back down to 1,2,3 for a default (without office) install13:38
nottingf13: cool13:38
f13I have to go out tonight and pick up more DVD+/-RW media as mine has finally becomed too trashed to use.13:39
f13Ok, if there's nothing else, I'd like to get to work (:13:40

Generated by 2.3 by Marius Gedminas - find it at!